2013 Ford Explorer Sport “Recommended” upgrades | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DangerZone

Reaction score
City, State
VA Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hi Fellow Explorers,

So we just picked up a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport and being new to the modern explorers, I was hoping I could get some gouge on recommended upgrades to this beast of an SUV.

For those unfamiliar with the term “gouge”, it’s widely used in the military as word for “essential information”.

I’ve done some initial research, but I’m
Hoping some of you can throw in some pointers and ideas.

So far, I’ve installed the full weather tech floor mat kit. I’ve ordered HIDs and Fog lights from the retrofit source. (Went with 35w/5500k, got the anti flicker relay and carbon fiber brackets) also, for the fogs, went with the 3” kit they also sell. Hoping it all works out fine. I’ll post pics after and hopefully learn some install do’s/don’ts before I attempt install.

A few things I’m interested in knowing: should I look for a K&N CAI, or are they not necessary or is something better? Also, any other recommended engine area things recommended? Chip? Etc.

For now, we’re loving the zippy throttle and 3rd row seats. Lol.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s comments and help.

-JB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Regarding the K&N CAI, several members have posted that unless you plan to add a 'tune' forget about it. In fact a few members that installed just the CAI ended up going back to stock. There are several threads here in the 'Modified' sub forum on tunes, mainly Livernois and other mods that members have done. You can use the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right) or scroll through the various threads here to get ideas as to what members have done. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I haven’t decided yet if I want to do the ~1,000$ upgrade to gain a second on my 0-60 time. I mean, I’m sure there are some other benefits to it as well, but for the time being, after some initial research, I might keep her stock for now.

Currently, I’m looking into simple mods to the sync system and Navi. I know there’s gotta be a simple way to over ride the hassle of having to be stopped to input changes in the navigation. The passenger should be able to make changes without us having to stop. :(

Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks Peter.

I haven’t decided yet if I want to do the ~1,000$ upgrade to gain a second on my 0-60 time. I mean, I’m sure there are some other benefits to it as well, but for the time being, after some initial research, I might keep her stock for now.

Currently, I’m looking into simple mods to the sync system and Navi. I know there’s gotta be a simple way to over ride the hassle of having to be stopped to input changes in the navigation. The passenger should be able to make changes without us having to stop. :(

Thanks again for the advice.
For the navigation issue you can always use voice commands. That is what I do. The lockout is of course a safety item. There is no way the current system can tell who is inputting info and that is why it is locked. You can easily put something with enough weight on the passenger's seat to fool the system into thinking it is occupied and then use the navigation yourself as the driver.

Peter

Back