2013 Ford Explorer Struggles to crank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Struggles to crank

WantABronco

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
My Explorer has been doing this odd thing where it will struggle to crank. It does eventually crank everytime and the first few mins it idles rough but after that no issues. This happens every time I crank it and sometimes it throws a P0303 (Cylinder 3 misfire). I took it to a shop today and they said it was the fuel pump going bad. He wanted $600 to swap it so im just gonna do it myself.

SO 2 part question:

1. Has anyone else had the issue? Was it the fuel pump?
2. Is there an access to the fuel pump or will I have to drop the tank?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As for #2, you will have to drop the tank unless you want to cut a hole in the floor as another member did. LPFP hanger assembly access for DW300c Fuel Pump install
I think #14 is what you need; Fuel System Components for 2013 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
As for the P0303 code, check post #10 in this thread; 2013 explorer 3.5 rough idle p219a and p0303

Peter
SOrry I got to add that I already changed all spark plugs and the Ignition Coil for Cylinder#3. Well WOOOOOO for dropping the fuel tank when my wife just filled up like 2 days ago.

SOrry I got to add that I already changed all spark plugs and the Ignition Coil for Cylinder#3. Well WOOOOOO for dropping the fuel tank when my wife just filled up like 2 days ago.
Did you check the injector?

Do you have a key or keyless ignition?
If keyed ignition, try cycling the key to the 'run' position (not start) and off again a few times before attempting to start.
If it starts easier when doing that, it's another sign of the fuel pump failing.

Back