2013 Ford Explorer XLT AC Fan and Compressor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer XLT AC Fan and Compressor

heycurry

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
Hello,

I am hoping for some advice. My 2013 Ford Explorer XLT (80k miles just bought it used last week) air conditioning stopped working on Saturday. I brought it to the Ford Dealership and they stated the fan seized and caused the compressor to stop functioning. The A/C was running while the car was parked for 30 minutes.

Of course I know it's beyond the warranty, but after looking at some of the forums, it looks like it is a problem with the A/C fan of the Explorer. This 'known' problem is costing me $1,700 to repair.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I am hoping for some advice. My 2013 Ford Explorer XLT (80k miles just bought it used last week) air conditioning stopped working on Saturday. I brought it to the Ford Dealership and they stated the fan seized and caused the compressor to stop functioning. The A/C was running while the car was parked for 30 minutes.

Of course I know it's beyond the warranty, but after looking at some of the forums, it looks like it is a problem with the A/C fan of the Explorer. This 'known' problem is costing me $1,700 to repair.

Thank you
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I'm not aware of issues with the A/C fan. There were a lot of problems, especially on the early 5th gen models with the radiator cooling fans. Did you not have any dealer warranty on the vehicle when you bought it?

Peter

my wife's 2013 explorer, with 85k, a/c stopped working. took it to dealership and the a/c clutch seized up and basically destroyed the compressor. $1200.

Hello,

Thank you
Hello
I bought a 2013 explorer new and over the 8 years I drove it the AC compressor last just under 2 years. I have just replaced my 5th AC compressor. I complained to Ford and of course their response was part is our if warranty. I have my worse experience with the explorer and useless customer service. I have talked to other Explorer owners and they had a similar experience.

I have a 2000 BMW and I just recently had to change the AC compressor, it lasted over 15 years!

I will never buy a Ford again

Ray

Welcome to the Forum Ray. Our first member from North Gower. :wave:
Replacing the compressor 5 times seems like a lot compared to the posts in this forum. I'm guessing that some of them may have been replaced under warranty since the first failure was within 2 years of buying the Explorer. Also, OEM replacement parts carry a 2-year warranty. I always go for the Ford extended warranty as insurance against just this sort of issue. I have never had to deal with Ford customer service over all the years I've had Ford products so I can't really comment on that part other than to say that many have been happy with them and some have not. In some cases they have helped out with costs even after the factory warranty expired. I have been very happy with my previous Explorers and have an excellent relationship with my dealership. I wonder if there is an underlying issue that is causing these constant failures.

Peter

Back