2013 interceptor utility brake issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 interceptor utility brake issue

13interceptor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 interceptor utility
I have a weird pull uneven braking when i get on brakes hard for sudden stops. The truck has new pads and rotors and that didn't solve it. I just put new front calipers and hoses on and still same issue. The mechanic checked everything under including control arms , etc. and everything is tight . I am going to also change rear calipers and hoses next . Any advice or help would be appreciated. Tires are also relatively new eagle rsa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Common problems that can cause pull - uneven tire wear/pressure, suspension/steering parts, brake parts, uneven road surface.

I had an 03 taurus that pulled and shook under braking and it ended up being a bad inner tie rod (car drove fine and a mechanic passed it and did an alignment, but it still pulled and shook under braking until inner tie rod was replaced and realigned - car already had wheel bearings, ball joints, outer tie rods, and full brake job to freshen things up as it had 160K at the time).

An easy way to identify brake issues is to check the brake temps with a non-contact ir thermometer after driving it a bit. That should tell you if you've got one brake that's getting hotter than the others (caliper sticking, not working as it should, etc...).

I have a weird pull uneven braking when i get on brakes hard for sudden stops. The truck has new pads and rotors and that didn't solve it. I just put new front calipers and hoses on and still same issue. The mechanic checked everything under including control arms , etc. and everything is tight . I am going to also change rear calipers and hoses next . Any advice or help would be appreciated. Tires are also relatively new eagle rsa
Not saying this may be the issue but when was the last time you had the alignment checked? Did they do one when the installed the tires/brakes?

Peter

Would alignment problem just happen under braking ?

How many miles are on your truck and what kind of life has it had? Is it pulling to one/same side? No sense in just throwing more money at rear brakes or other stuff, unless it has higher miles and needs some freshening of suspension/steering parts anyway.

Some of the things you can do yourself are swap tires R/L and/or F/R to see if anything changes, check brake temps to see if a caliper is sticking or not working, check all suspension parts yourself visually and physically. If you can't diagnose it yourself, it may not hurt to get a second opinion from another mechanic (maybe look for shops with free/low cost inspections).

Struts and shocks are new , pads and rotors new , all parts visually ok by ford and other mechanics . 75000 miles now . It's weird and feels like rear brakes are not equally grabbing. I will be changing rear calipers and hoses and keeping fingers crossed.

Almost feels like rear moves sideways under heavy sudden braking

What did the mechanics say when they test drove it, got on the brakes and it pulled? What was done or is being done to diagnose the problem vs just throwing parts at it?

Has it been doing this for some time or did it start after something was fixed/replaced? Does the vehicle have any previous accident/frame damage? Was it aligned after the shock/strut replacement?

Did show accident has been to ford for numerous regular services. Last private mechanic that put on front calipers could not pinpoint any reason and agreed I should try new rear calipers Who can check frame ? Body shop ?

Vehicle drives perfectly straight and this only Happens sudden hard braking

You posted previously about the front calipers having R and L on them that differed from the side of the vehicle they were on. I just did an oil change on my 16 and noticed the inside of the my calipers were marked the same backwards way - with an R on the driver side and an L on the passenger side. I didn't pull the wheels to see how the outside of the calipers were marked.

Is this the same pull/issue that you have been dealing with since July? What was the original diagnosis that was causing the pull or that led you to replace front calipers/brakes? If your mechanic didn't know what the problem was, but threw front calipers/brakes at it and now your mechanic still can't pinpoint the problem, but wants to throw rear calipers/brakes at it now, I would seek out a new mechanic.

It can be hard to pinpoint problems like yours over the internet, but there are definite steps one can take to diagnose the issue to try and identify the cause.

When did you first notice the problem? Was anything done to the vehicle or did anything happen to the vehicle just prior to the problem occurring?

Yes same problem. I was told by independent mechanics as well as for that everything look good. Could this be master cylinder

Are there any parts in the rear that could possibly be worn out and or broken that would cause a lateral type movement ?

You could have rear suspension parts that are bad. When did you first notice the pull to begin with? Was it pulling before you did the struts and shocks?

Yes it was pulling before struts and shocks . It's very strange as it drives straight , and normal braking stops are fine. It's just when I have to suddenly brake hard that this happens. It really feels like the brakes aren't applying evenly

if you get the same pull regardless of road surface, you could have a brake issue, suspension/steering issue, frame/alignment issue, or tire issue. There are troubleshooting steps you can take on your own to verify these. Check brake temps to see if any corners are hotter/cooler than others - could be issue with an individual caliper, hose, or in ABS system. Move tires F to R and R to L to see if problem changes. Check alignment to make sure it is okay (especially if vehicle was in accident and has had shocks/struts replaced) - I suppose if it was out of spec, the vehicle could still drive okay, but exhibit issues under braking when weight transfer loads the front end and unloads the rear end - I would think this would manifest more as unwanted movement in a steering/suspension component though (tie rods, ball joints, bushings, etc..).

I'm now being told it is likely the abs modulator valve ?

I'm now being told it is likely the abs modulator valve ?

A bad ABS modulator could give the impression you have other brake system problems. Depending on the type of failure, it may set a code.

If I'm not mistaken, the abs modulator can be tested with the appropriate scan tool. Did your mechanic diagnose a failure in the abs modulator valve or is he just guessing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't think it could be checked . I Was told. Sticky valve may not set a code. I was also told by another person that had the same problem while it's rare , it is possible to has a valve stick and create the issue I'm having . The other person had the same problems and it ended up being an abs modulator valve

Back