• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

2013 Interceptor Utility - flickering rear lights

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
I have a 2013 Interceptor Utility that's experiencing an issue with intermittent flickering of all taillights.

Yesterday I noticed my left tail light was flickering on/off (the LED portion), until the lights died when the accessory mode timeout hit. My friend told me today when following me into town that my CHMSL (3rd brake light) was flickering and going dim.

At first I thought it would be a simple fix - to replace the taillight. Now it seems like it's a harness or relay, or short in the wires.

It's something I can live with if it's an expensive fix (or at least hold off on) but I would like to try a little DIY at home. Any ideas on where I could start before taking it into the shop?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
The brake lights flicker when applied? Does it flicker when stationary or only when driving?

Check your grounds. G301 located above the drivers side rear wheel well behind the large interior trim panel. Also check ground G400 which is located on the rear passenger interior quarter panel, sort of behind the storage cubby. You'll have to remove both interior trim panels to get a look at the harnesses. This would be a good thing for troubleshooting, since it will expose all of the rear wiring harness. You'll then be able to see if an up fitter mucked around with the wiring and/or did a poor job when removing the prior police equipment.

If the harness all checks out, it could possibly be the BCM or something in the forward harness.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
It flickers when stationary and/or driving, but doesn't affect brake lights when those are applied.

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
It flickers when stationary and/or driving, but doesn't affect brake lights when those are applied.
Do the front parking lights flicker at all or is the issue strictly at the rear of the vehicle? Again, check the grounds and for hacks to the harness. You can access most of the harness to the rear lights from inside with the trim panels removed, but removing each taillight would be ideal.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
Seems to only affect rear LED's and not the bulbs in the back or front. Also seems like it's just the CHMSL and driver side tail light. I took a video, just need to upload it.

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
My feedback would be, pull the drivers side taillight and probe the wires to see if you have a good ground and solid +12V coming into the stop lamp wire. Check all of them, turn signals, tail lamp and reverse lights. I just find it odd that you have two lights which are showing issues. The passenger side is solid with no problems?

BROWN = +12V Stop Wire
BLACK/GREY = Ground Wire

Again, pulling the trim panels in the cargo area would be a good idea because upfitters do mess with the wiring in these vehicles. Checking things over very carefully can pinpoint the issue. There is only one BCM output for the Stop Lamps. So if the right rear light is solid, then that means the BCM is OK. It could be defective lamp assemblies, but you need to check your positive and ground connections with a DVOM.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
Is a DVOM the same as a multimeter?

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
Yeah. Digital Volt Ohm Meter.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
Update: It appears to be water inside the LH taillight. I've cleaned out all the water, and it started working, but after a day in the sun it's back to flashing again, this time causing all rear LED's to flicker (not good when you're driving a car like this on the highway!) I've ordered a new light and hope this will fix the issue with the circuit. If not I have enough information here to get dirty with wiring/grounds.

Thanks!

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
Moisture can do that for sure.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
The new taillight arrived and fixed this issue. Thanks for all the advice.

evader2k

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Interceptor
I'm in the exact same boat. I have a ton of moisture in the light. I'm in Canada right now and most of the time the moisture inside the light is frozen and then its fine - as soon as it warms up it begins to flicker. 2013 Utility.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
Just replace the light - it sucks but it's the most effective way. Ebay is your friend. I got mine with one tiny blemish on the inside, unnoticeable, for 60 bucks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (Front End Popping/Clunking) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 17
1 2013 interceptor utility steering problem Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
1 2013 interceptor utility brake issue Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 87
1 2013 interceptor utility feels unstable when braking hard Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
1 2013 interceptor utility brake pull maybe ? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
N 2013 Police Interceptor Utility "Ready-for-the-Road Package" (67H) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 5
T Rear seat headrest guide for 2013/4 police interceptor Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 8
M How to test fuel pressure on 2013 3.7L. Police Interceptor Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 7
M 2013 police interceptor explorer quistions Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
K 2013 explorer police interceptor Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
K 2013 Explorer police interceptor Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
C Help with 2013 police interceptor suv Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 36
S Help with 2013 Explorer PIU Console Questions.... Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
E 2013 PIU Modification Questions Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
T 2013 PIU rear end sway Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 6
A 2013 Utility turn signal sockets? and bulb type? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
A 2013 Utility Wiring help, rear tail light brake lights Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
D 2013 PIU Low Oil Pressure, repair. Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 5
B Some questions... looking at buying a used 2013-2015 PIU Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 7
ElectronFlow 2013 PIU Explorer Repairs Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 19
M 2013 PIU Distance To Empty (DTE) Incorrect Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
S Upgrading 2013 FPIU radio to touchscreen GPS? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 20
D 2013 PIU Brake controller plug? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 7
2 2013 Explorer PIU steering wheel control wiring. HELP! Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
T 2013 PIU with 2015 drivetrain, hvac fan issues Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
2 2013 PIU rear window and steering wheel controls (experienced owners needed) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 21
K 2013 piu unmuting phone option on radio Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
M 2013 rack and pinion interchange Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 8
R Cooper Discoverer M+S on my 2013 PIU? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
E Steering Wheel Switch Cluster Display/14-way Connector on 2013 PIU Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
S Installing civilian console into 2013 FPIU Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 15
2013PIU 2013 PIU, Ford says can't change PTU fluid? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
C Red flags when buying used 2013-14 Police Explorer / Utility Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 10
R PIU 2013 Project Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 14
B Roof Rack/Roof Rails for Ford PIU 2013/2014 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 8
R Q's on 2013 PIU Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 8
L 2013 PIU questions Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 11
F 2013 piu headlight pattern missing middle of the road Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
R 2013 Explorer PI wont start and interior lights go on & off when driving Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
Trader0000 2013 PIU Remote Keyless Locks and Start Procedure Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 18
2013PIU What are these two items? 2013 PIU. Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
B 2013 PIU - Electrical Gremlin, and a squeak. Help! Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
L List of Differing Parts Between 2013 PIU and 2013 Explorer Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
B My 2013 finally arrived and had 2 days to "Fix" things, with pix Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 12
E Add KEYLESS ENTRY to 2013 PI Utility using FORSCAN Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 23
N 2013 PIU - Undoing Rear Door Handle Disable & Install Rear Lock Rods Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 10
L 2013 Interceptors - Notice the engine displacement on the Ex (for those who don't kno Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
C 2016-2018 police suv interceptor general questions Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 7
M installing oem sync system in interceptor Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
J 2014 Explorer Interceptor headlights wiring Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3