2013 interceptor utility transmission issue (I think ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 interceptor utility transmission issue (I think )

13interceptor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 interceptor utility
I have a 2013 interceptor utility that seems when I brake really hard suddenly. Rpm go up and seems like vehicle is in neutral for a moment before it revs back down and engages . Looking for any help where to start. Fluid clean , seems to shift fine through all gears

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 interceptor utility that seems when I brake really hard suddenly. Rpm go up and seems like vehicle is in neutral for a moment before it revs back down and engages . Looking for any help where to start. Fluid clean , seems to shift fine through all gears
I think it may have gone into Pursuit Mode. It's shocking the first time you experience it. It's a sudden downshift and if you keep on the gas you will go through gears with long high rev shifts, kind of fun. I make mine do it once in a while to "blow out the carbon" Hopefully this is the case not a real fault.

Here is an owner with the opposite issue. ;) I don't believe that would be due to Pursuit Mode.

Peter

Don’t understand what that is supposed to do ? How do you get out of this if it’s the issue ? Car seems to not want to move for seconds. It Seems very dangerous if you really need to get out of the way and step in the gas and it won’t go

Don’t understand what that is supposed to do ? How do you get out of this if it’s the issue ? Car seems to not want to move for seconds. It Seems very dangerous if you really need to get out of the way and step in the gas and it won’t go
Well it's supposed to allow cops to chase bad guys with maximum performance. If you are really sitting there on the gas and not moving you have a problem. It's built into the vehicle dynamics computer and also can come on with fast aggressive turning in addition to breaking. As far as I know it can't be turned off. I think a recent recall or service bulletin modified or disabled this function.

Yeah I get that. Pretty sure it’s an issue because it Revs really high and doesn’t seems to respond for seconds when I get in the gas

Here is an owner with the opposite issue. ;) I don't believe that would be due to Pursuit Mode.

Peter
This is what’s happening with mine

Can you cycle through the gears on the interceptor? If you can, manual downshift with no braking and see if it hangs. Your torque converter may not be unlocking. That would certainly make it seem sluggish or no power when applying gas.

Back