2013 limited front exhaust pipe break (by flex joint), what to do... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 limited front exhaust pipe break (by flex joint), what to do...

jcar302

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 awd 5.0
Hey guys, my sister in laws 2013 limited exhaust broke right after the flex joint (one that looks like a heat sink) on the front pipe (right beneath drivers floor pan).
It didn't separate at what looks like a joint.
Obviously it sounds horrible.
It's a certified explorer with about 70k on it (she's well outside her 1 year bumper to bumper)
Before I send her to ford i'd just like to know if this is common?
Any chance it falls under the certified warranty (I looked, does not appear to)
Possibly the emissions warranty? Again, i'm thinking not.
Does this happen often?
Looks like ford wants like $350 for the pipe, but it can be had from other sources for about $230.
I'm willing to repair it for her if ford wants to whack her on the price, I gotta figure they are going to hit her for at least $500.
Thanks for any input.
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Havent heard this happening before. You can check with the dealer first but I wouldn't think it would be covered. CATS yes, but just exhaust pipe, I would think not.

I agree with blwnsmoke. Don't recall this particular issue being mentioned before so it can't be a common problem.

Peter

Thanks guys.
I have her making an appointment.
It's really a shame with this explorer, it hasn't been all that good to her and nothing that breaks seems to be under the certified warranty. Hood paint peeling by grille, issues with rear folding seats, front tie rod failed, vacuum leaks and the thing I hate the most, the stupid fake seam on the drivers door tearing.

A side of me just wants to buy this and slap it on, looks to be a way better design.
I just don't have the time or energy to fight it if it doesn't go right.
https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Exhaust-55661-Front-Pipe/dp/B01HQSX9KQ

you can get it for 87.00 or 143.00 (depending on brand) from rockauto and then have an exhaust shop throw it on for you. way cheaper than the stealership

My dealer cracked mine replacing epas. I went back and complained, they kinda acted like they did me a favor.... expect they broke it. Its crazy expensive.

Is that flex joint before or after the cats?
Long shot, but if it's before, maybe you can argue that it's part of emissions?

It's after the cats. Hopefully OP looks into an exhaust shop. Mine here lets you provide the parts.

Just an update.
Would have cost about $550 (parts listed at ford for like $359).
Sent her to meineke, they patched in a short length for $150.
I'd expect this mess from a 30 year old exhaust, but honestly, there was no excuse for it to happen on a 2013.

Had exactly the same issue, same year Explorer, same fix and comparable cost :)

Back