2013 LTD with HID

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
Hi,
I am wondering if its easy enough just to change the bulbs to get a whiter light. Although i have hid i hate the yellowish hue and would prefer something a bit whiter. I'd probably want to do both the low beams and fogs.

Any suggestions or advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, just buy some whiter bulbs.

6000k is what I have and they're white with a hint of blue.

how hard it is to change the bulbs on the EX? I was just quoted 240 to change the bulbs. Includes the bulbs and labor.

If I can do it myself it would be awesome.

i would do a retro to a ds2 setup. its really easy. i just did a how to on it. takes about 5 hours.

I hear ya, i am not a car guy though so changing the bulbs is me saving 4.5 hours. Just need a little whiter light nothing too special.

Whats the difference between the ds2 and ds3 - out of curiousity.

Thanks though.

few things, cheaper replacement parts. bc ds3 is newer. ds3 ignitors are actually on the bulb instead of the ballast. ds3 are mercury free.

none of those reasons are y i changed mine. the link you posted is how to remove a non hid bulb. the hid in the limited are going to be a bit harder. they have two torx screws that need to be removed.

the main reason i switched, where for the better actual projector. the stock ford hella is not crystal clear. thus you dont get as clean of a cut off or as bright light output. the projectors i wanted happened to be ds2 and a direct swap with minor wiring. i love mine!!!!

also mine are 5k pure white. only color change is in the cut off. then is blue and purple.

how hard it is to change the bulbs on the EX? I was just quoted 240 to change the bulbs. Includes the bulbs and labor.

If I can do it myself it would be awesome.

Sweet Jesus!

It's a 5 minute job!

Sweet Jesus!

It's a 5 minute job!

I know!!! - its the HID though so i gotta get good instructions before i do it myself. Been searching but cant find any HID specific instructions

Pull out the OEM bulbs, unplug the wires, plug them into the new bulbs, put the new bulbs into the light socket.

Pull out the OEM bulbs, unplug the wires, plug them into the new bulbs, put the new bulbs into the light socket.

Simple enough...i am gonna do it this weekend. Wish me luck. I'll post pics as soon as i do.

Thanks

1 more thing..I searched ebay for d3S bulbs and they all say its not compatible with the 2013 Explorer. Are they wrong, am I wrong?

1 more thing..I searched ebay for d3S bulbs and they all say its not compatible with the 2013 Explorer. Are they wrong, am I wrong?

Do not buy aftermarket D3S bulbs as there are not viable / reliable replacements for this type of bulb. The OEM bulb is an OSRAM branded bulb which is of good quality.

The problem with the lighting aspect of this car really rests with the projectors. If you REALLY must have a cooler color output consider changing the bulbs to D1S (a lot more choice of bulbs) however that will require a different ballast.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

I can so new ballasts, would it be plug and play and will i have the "delay" that others have mentioned with the auto lights on. I;d hate to have issues

I can so new ballasts, would it be plug and play and will i have the "delay" that others have mentioned with the auto lights on. I;d hate to have issues
I'm not sure what all is exactly involved in changing to HID's but I pretty sure it is more than just changing the bulbs. There is quite a price difference in the headlamp units. They aren't going to charge $240 just for changing the bulbs! If it were mine, I think I'd invest in a good set of upgraded halogen bulbs first. The ones I put in my Highlander were as good as the HID's I have now although there have been posts saying that they have been improved.

Peter

Back