2013 PIU Low Oil Pressure, repair. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 PIU Low Oil Pressure, repair.

DeLorean00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford PIU
Hello, I am new here my name is Chris. I just wanted to make a quick post on this because I didn't find much info online when this was happening to me.

I drive a 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility for work. It is a retired California Highway Patrol unit, with the 3.7L and AWD. We got it with around 120k and today it has 148K.

Last week I was driving when I noticed that when I came to a stop the Low Oil Pressure light came on. I instantly pulled over and checked the oil. Oil level was fine and it had just been to Ford for an oil change and service less and 800 miles ago. The light went off and was gone for the next week and 1000 miles.

Today I was driving and was coming off the freeway and came to a stop of Low Oil Pressure came back on. It would come on every time the car was below 1000 RPM. This time when I pulled over I noticed oil on the AC compressor and underneath the car. Not a ton, but it was there. Leaving around a dime size drop on the ground below the car every 30 mins. The car never leaked before.

The Problem and Solution.

The problem was the oil pressure sending unit or sensor had failed internally and was leaking oil from the engine outside the block through the electrical connector.

The repair was to get the sensor from Ford which was only a little over $5 and install it. It is right above the AC compressor between it and where the oil filter elbow is. Pretty tight working area and has to be done underneath.

Needless to say, this was a cause of a lot of stress in the early stages before I found the leak. I was worried the oil pump was failing or the motor itself. I just wanted to share this in case someone in the future finds themselves in my shoes. Also, I did try and search the forum before posting so forgive me if this a topic that has been well discussed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I am new here my name is Chris. I just wanted to make a quick post on this because I didn't find much info online when this was happening to me.

I drive a 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility for work. It is a retired California Highway Patrol unit, with the 3.7L and AWD. We got it with around 120k and today it has 148K.

Last week I was driving when I noticed that when I came to a stop the Low Oil Pressure light came on. I instantly pulled over and checked the oil. Oil level was fine and it had just been to Ford for an oil change and service less and 800 miles ago. The light went off and was gone for the next week and 1000 miles.

Today I was driving and was coming off the freeway and came to a stop of Low Oil Pressure came back on. It would come on every time the car was below 1000 RPM. This time when I pulled over I noticed oil on the AC compressor and underneath the car. Not a ton, but it was there. Leaving around a dime size drop on the ground below the car every 30 mins. The car never leaked before.

The problem was the oil pressure sending unit or sensor had failed internally and was leaking oil from the engine outside the block through the electrical connector.

The repair was to get the sensor from Ford which was only a little over $5 and install it. It is right above the AC compressor between it and where the oil filter elbow is. Pretty tight working area and has to be done underneath.

Needless to say, this was a cause of a lot of stress in the early stages before I found the leak. I was worried the oil pump was failing or the motor itself. I just wanted to share this in case someone in the future finds themselves in my shoes. Also, I did try and search the forum before posting so forgive me if this a topic that has been well discussed.

Pictures are always helpful, to understand where on the engine to look. Mine does the drip thing (2015), but never low pressure. Will have to do so more looking.

Pictures are always helpful, to understand where on the engine to look. Mine does the drip thing (2015), but never low pressure. Will have to do so more looking.

I will try and snap a picture. It is really tight to get in there with a camera so I will likely just get close and point to it. Since I am new here what is the best way to post pictures? Upload to a 3rd party site and link it in or is there a picture poster in the forum?

Also mine never leaked until it started to give me the low oil pressure warning. It appears to have just started seeping last week, but by yesterday it was leaking steady drips. In my experience, I had oil all over the AC compressor and blown back onto the subframe. If you see oil on your compressor I would probably change that sensor. Finally, it was really hard to tell where the leak was actually coming from as the sensor looked fine in the block it was just the wiring and everything around it was oily. I would normally assume the leak was coming elsewhere instead of leaking along the wiring harness.

Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
You can load pictures directly from your device but in order to do so, you will have to get an Elite Explorer membership ($20) which also helps to support the Forum and will get rid of the ads and save the pictures on the Forum's servers. If interested, just click on "Join Elite Explorers" at the top of the page. Otherwise, you can link a free 3rd party hosting site but be aware that the pictures could disappear has happened several times with Photobucket.

Peter

Did you confirm oil pressure at all or just swap out the leaky sensor?

I will try and snap a picture. It is really tight to get in there with a camera so I will likely just get close and point to it. Since I am new here what is the best way to post pictures? Upload to a 3rd party site and link it in or is there a picture poster in the forum?

Also mine never leaked until it started to give me the low oil pressure warning. It appears to have just started seeping last week, but by yesterday it was leaking steady drips. In my experience, I had oil all over the AC compressor and blown back onto the subframe. If you see oil on your compressor I would probably change that sensor. Finally, it was really hard to tell where the leak was actually coming from as the sensor looked fine in the block it was just the wiring and everything around it was oily. I would normally assume the leak was coming elsewhere instead of leaking along the wiring harness.

I use www.imgur.com

Hello I was wondering if anyone had found the best way to replace oil pressure switch. I have the 2013 PI as well. I have the old switch off but cant get it on... was wondering if taking the AC pump off would help? just cant get close enough to thread it on...

Hello I was wondering if anyone had found the best way to replace oil pressure switch. I have the 2013 PI as well. I have the old switch off but cant get it on... was wondering if taking the AC pump off would help? just cant get close enough to thread it on...
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back