2013 PIU rear window and steering wheel controls (experienced owners needed) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 PIU rear window and steering wheel controls (experienced owners needed)

2Buzzkill

Reaction score
City, State
Conroe
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer PPV
Guys, new to this platform as of yesterday. Trying to convert back to civilian and it was going well for a bit. Got the back door latches operational in a bout five minutes a side without issue. Went to find the plug on the drivers side B pillar, plugged it in but only got the back drivers side window switch to work. Both sides illuminate but pass side does not operate the window. All window motors are good as I can operate them from my front drivers side window switch. Anything I need to look for? The plug that I reconnected only had one wire on either side, which i thought was odd since it was supposed to make both switches work from what i have read.

Also, none of the steering wheel buttons work. I was under the dash for a while with all the trim off but could not find and plugs that were disconnected. Does anyone have any insight on this? Amy help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the window buttons are free floating "no spring" like mine were. You will need to purchase new ones. Hope this helps

Both switches are exactly the same as far as feedback when you press or pull them.

Ok so they disabled them different than mine. I would check the fuse box. The one wire thing seems odd, as mine had two if i recall. Hope someone has better input. Good luck

Thanks, bro. Hopefully someone has some input about this and the steering wheel controls.

The plug on mine only had one wire and now both rear windows work.

Interesting. I'll go out in the morning with the volt meter and check the two switches for any differences. Does anyone have a fix for the steering wheel controls?

Interesting. I'll go out in the morning with the volt meter and check the two switches for any differences. Does anyone have a fix for the steering wheel controls?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Good luck with your project.

Peter

Thank you. Do they normally mess with the steering wheel controls on the piu? None of them are operational at the moment.

Do you have the numbered buttons on the steering wheel? If so they hook up sirens and lights to them.

The steering wheel buttons are stock.

One side is for cruise and the other is for radio. I'll send a picture in a few minutes.

I didn't take a pic when I went out to the car, but they are all labeled like a civilian explorer. Is there a harness that may be disconnected somewhere under the dash?

I checked all fuses assosiacted with the steering wheel and they were fine.

Forgot to update about the rear window switches. The pass side was bad and would only roll the window down. Have one on order. Rear window switches and door latches re good to go.

Still trying to figure out the steering wheel buttons and why they aren't functional.

Still trying to figure out the steering wheel buttons and why they aren't functional.
It is possible they were disabled or reassigned different functions when the vehicle was 'In Service' and subsequently disconnected. The reason I'm saying that is that I've seen the horn modified to vary the sound/tone of the siren on an emergency vehicle (fire chief) on the TV show "Live Rescue". Just a guess though.

Peter

I agree. I looked underneath the driver side for a long period of time. Never found a harness that was disconnected. I'm at a loss. Neither buttons on either side of the wheel function at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back