2013 PIU - Undoing Rear Door Handle Disable & Install Rear Lock Rods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 PIU - Undoing Rear Door Handle Disable & Install Rear Lock Rods

ntoda00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Interceptor Utility
Not sure if anyone covered this already for the 2013 Police Interceptor Utility, however the following are pictures showing how to undo the Rear Door Handle Disable factory option, adding in the manual door lock/unlock rods for the rear doors, and drilling out the door panel to allow sound to come through the door panel for the rear door speakers....

STEP 1
PIURearLockEnable1_zpsf7f94399.jpg

STEP 2
PIURearLockEnable2_zps348f1a97.jpg

STEP 2.5
PIURearLockEnable25_zpsda6454e6.jpg

STEP 3
PIURearLockEnable3_zps610887e7.jpg

STEP 4
PIURearLockEnable4_zpsf7605698.jpg

STEP 5
PIURearLockEnable5_zps8a9bc3c7.jpg

STEP 6 (OPTIONAL)
PIURearLockEnable6_zps4d26ca95.jpg

GOOD NEWS
PIURearLockEnable7_zpsde575780.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your windows are disabled, there is a purple plug undone on the driver's side under the B pillar panel cover/seat belt stud. Plug that back in, and viola

Hello guys, I apologize for bumping an old thread, but as of now, the pictures that were originally posted for this thread are not available. Could anyone post their pictures from doing this? Thank you in advance!

Hello guys, I apologize for bumping an old thread, but as of now, the pictures that were originally posted for this thread are not available. Could anyone post their pictures from doing this? Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As indicated in my message, I sent a PM to the OP asking if it might be possible to repost the missing pictures.

Peter

Hello swsshawaii, I do not mean to bother you, but the images over there still do not show any modifications of the rear door locks.

Thank you for all of the help!

Does anyone have the part number for the rod?

That's just what I was needing. Thanks

My local dealer says that they are out and cant get any in for like a month

Hi Guys, hope you are all doing well. I picked up a 2014 PI Explorer that I am converting to a civilian ride... I connected the power source under the drivers side B Pillar. Wanted to ask you guys though, the rear doors actually do not have the actuators to connect the lock rods to. Any advice on how I can proceed with putting in these actuators? There is just an empty hole where the lock rod would connect to - I assume that is where the actuator would have been!... Any videos on installation(mechanical and electrical), parts, would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know if this helps or not since I don't know the exact part you are looking for; Lock & Hardware for 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter
I made two plunger rods from some 5/16" stainless tubing I had laying around. They could be made from plastic rod or whatever is strong enough to drill a hole through it and work when you pull up on it. Wrap it with some tape to keep it on the wire-form going to the lock mechanism. Mine was too long, I was in a hurry to get it installed.

I made two plunger rods from some 5/16" stainless tubing I had laying around. They could be made from plastic rod or whatever is strong enough to drill a hole through it and work when you pull up on it. Wrap it with some tape to keep it on the wire-form going to the lock mechanism. Mine was too long, I was in a hurry to get it installed.
And thank you all for your posts on reactivating the rear door locks and windows. Everything is working great now. My rear seat passengers thank you too!

0717211557.jpg

0717211557a.jpg

Hello! I made a youtube guide when I fixed the doors on my 2014 Interceptor. I wanted to install the pushpins but the actuating rods were missing.. requiring me to completely remove the locking actuator.
Youtube Video

Manual Parts PIU.PNG

Back