• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2013 possible purchase questions

cjben

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Well,the wife went and fell in love with a 2013 xlt with the non turbo 3.5. I drove it and it seems to run and drive fine. Has 98,000 miles and is 4wd. What are some problems to look out for? Common problems with this year explorer? Only explorer we have owned was a 2004,nothing to compare with a 2013. What is the chances of this vehicle lasting for a long time(200,000 miles) with proper maintenance? Thanks for any help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Water pump and PTU would be my major worries. Both being $1,500+ each if the pump doesn't let go and destroy the motor. Is it at a Ford dealer or does it have an ESP attached?

cjben

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Water pump and PTU would be my major worries. Both being $1,500+ each if the pump doesn't let go and destroy the motor. Is it at a Ford dealer or does it have an ESP attached?
it is at a dealer. what is ESP? comes with 30 day 1,000 mile warranty.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
it is at a dealer. what is ESP? comes with 30 day 1,000 mile warranty.
Welcome to the 5th generation side of the Forum.:wave:
ESP = Extended Service Plan. Extended Vehicle Service & Protection Plans | Service & Maintenance | Official Ford Owner Site If you are interested contact blwnsmoke via PM (Private Message) for a better price than you can get elsewhere.
For issues with vehicles, see this thread; Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List
Good luck.

Peter

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
That's alot of miles, I have 131k and mine is getting a bit tired. Hopefully its a good deal.

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I traded my '13 at 76k because it was starting to show its age. My struts were obviously weakened, and it was starting to creak and groan a bit more. It was otherwise basically fine, as I recall, or at least everything still worked.