• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport random little issues

mguy13sport

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I bought a 2013 Sport with over 100K on it last year. I don't drive it that much but in my 6 months of ownership, some things have started to happen. I knew the miles were high however the body is rust free and extremely clean - a rare find in New England.

First thing I did was get a Livernois Tune and that definitely woke this thing up. I can now read the DTC codes and anytime I floor it, I get a P0299 code (Underboost). It also surges RPMs under high throttle when the DTC is present (limp mode?). Since it doesn't happen while driving normally, I suspect a turbo / wastegate issue. The "Wastegate_DC" (Duty Cycle) also reads 0 when the P0299 is present (using the Livernois Gauges). This concerns me as I understand the factory turbos are only rated to last 120K miles. I intend on replacing both turbos regardless in the next few weeks (FYI - they are hard to find!)

Second thing I have noticed is that when getting up to about 60MPH after a cold start, there is a noticeable shake felt. I suspect this is the PTU based on what I have read. Not sure if a simple fluid change will fix this or not however that what I plan to try first.

Third thing is when I first start it up in the morning it idles at around 1000 RPM's for a good 5 minutes before it settles down into the 800 rpm range. This seems very long to me. My 2002 GMC truck does a similar thing however it only lasts about 30 seconds. Is this normal for this engine?

Fourth thing is the arm rest on the door. Like I said, I am only 6 months into ownership and the stitching on the arm rest seems to have let go creating a divot whenever my elbow is on it. Super annoying. Has anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a 2013 Sport with over 100K on it last year. I don't drive it that much but in my 6 months of ownership, some things have started to happen. I knew the miles were high however the body is rust free and extremely clean - a rare find in New England....................................................
Fourth thing is the arm rest on the door. Like I said, I am only 6 months into ownership and the stitching on the arm rest seems to have let go creating a divot whenever my elbow is on it. Super annoying. Has anyone else had this problem?
The 'Search' feature is a very handy tool ;) ; Split Armrest Issue

Peter

I have noticed that when getting up to about 60MPH after a cold start, there is a noticeable shake felt. I suspect this is the PTU based on what I have read. Not sure if a simple fluid change will fix this or not however that what I plan to try first.
How long does this vibration last? Could it be flat spotting of the tires. 20" wheels are known for that after they have been sitting a while but it usually smooths out after a mile or two.

Peter

The shutter/shake seems to be speed related after sitting as it does not occur at low speeds
If it does not go away at those speeds it could be tire balance or alignment. Have those been checked?

Peter

I bought a 2013 Sport with over 100K on it last year. I don't drive it that much but in my 6 months of ownership, some things have started to happen. I knew the miles were high however the body is rust free and extremely clean - a rare find in New England.

First thing I did was get a Livernois Tune and that definitely woke this thing up. I can now read the DTC codes and anytime I floor it, I get a P0299 code (Underboost). It also surges RPMs under high throttle when the DTC is present (limp mode?). Since it doesn't happen while driving normally, I suspect a turbo / wastegate issue. The "Wastegate_DC" (Duty Cycle) also reads 0 when the P0299 is present (using the Livernois Gauges). This concerns me as I understand the factory turbos are only rated to last 120K miles. I intend on replacing both turbos regardless in the next few weeks (FYI - they are hard to find!)
- Yes, could be a wastegate issue. Have you tried to return it to stock tune to see if you get that code?
- As for how long factory turbos are rated to last, you could say they just need to last 60k miles (factory powertrain warranty), but modern turbos can last a long time (100's of thousands of miles). That being said, some don't last that long either and I think there have been a couple people comment that the wastegate failed on thiers.

Second thing I have noticed is that when getting up to about 60MPH after a cold start, there is a noticeable shake felt. I suspect this is the PTU based on what I have read. Not sure if a simple fluid change will fix this or not however that what I plan to try first.
- Sounds to me like common flat spotting on the tires if it goes away in a few miles. If it continues, could be an out of balance wheel.
- I've not heard of a PTU causing a shake.

Third thing is when I first start it up in the morning it idles at around 1000 RPM's for a good 5 minutes before it settles down into the 800 rpm range. This seems very long to me. My 2002 GMC truck does a similar thing however it only lasts about 30 seconds. Is this normal for this engine?
- Sounds normal to me.

-Peter covered this in his post, a few people have had that issue.

Added my comments above.

Glad to hear you enjoy the tune!

When underboost type of codes start coming up often times it's just a simple boost leak most commonly. Have you tried searching underhood for any boost / vacuum lines that show signs of leaks or have come disconnected? I have seen a few over the years that pop off from the hose getting heat distorted and swelling that is under the engine cover, so you wouldn't see it without taking off the oil fill cap and that cover. Also has no clamp on there from the factory, so I've seen a handful of guys that put a hose clamp on with new vacuum hose to remedy the issue.

3.5 EB Boost hose.jpg

Back