2013 Sport suspension clunking after replacing parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport suspension clunking after replacing parts

blazzo

Reaction score
City, State
Macomb, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hello All, Hoping someone with a little more suspension expertise than myself may be able to help me out. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport that I acquired at the end of last year with 156,000 miles on it. I had the front struts, rear shocks, and front control arms replaced. I then had a vehicle alignment performed at which time they also replaced the rear upper bushings. The truck, of course, rides much better, however, I still get some clunking out of the front end, if I am not mistaken it happens when the suspension decompressed rather than compresses. For instance, when I pull out of the driveway down the curb into the street it feels a little clunky, yet when driving down the road flat the imperfections of the road and bumps the suspension seem to handle just fine. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to what it might be causing this? Also, short of the Struts, Shocks, front control arms, Rear Upper Bushings, are there any other suspension components I should replace at this time?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All, Hoping someone with a little more suspension expertise than myself may be able to help me out. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport that I acquired at the end of last year with 156,000 miles on it. I had the front struts, rear shocks, and front control arms replaced. I then had a vehicle alignment performed at which time they also replaced the rear upper bushings. The truck, of course, rides much better, however, I still get some clunking out of the front end, if I am not mistaken it happens when the suspension decompressed rather than compresses. For instance, when I pull out of the driveway down the curb into the street it feels a little clunky, yet when driving down the road flat the imperfections of the road and bumps the suspension seem to handle just fine. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to what it might be causing this? Also, short of the Struts, Shocks, front control arms, Rear Upper Bushings, are there any other suspension components I should replace at this time?

Thank you!
Brand of.parts? Could be defective or loose.
Sway bar end.links?
Tie rods?
Strut mounts?

Have someone/mechanic look at it?

Could also be worn sway bar to frame bushing.

I was thinking sway bar links...I always replace those when doing struts I have also seen people replace those links but not tighten the bolts all the way I'd check that first

Thank you!
The front sway bar bushings wore out on mine. Dont buy the aftermarket blue ones, they wear out quickly and get noisy again within 6 months. I put the OEM Motorcraft ones in the second time around and they are holding up much better.

Back