• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport total loss...

13TuxedoSport

Reaction score
City, State
Visalia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
So, my wife was involved in an accident 12/8/14 in our 2013 Sport.

Car did very well at keeping her safe, she walked away with minor bruising on her arm from the airbag, and on her neck from the seatbelt.

The initial estimate was $16k in repairs, but after digging deeper, the engine was destroyed as well (which I saw from the flat bed truck, the front turbo pushed into the engine and all the oil came out). So the final estimate was $33,100 in damages. Insurance totaled it out... had 25k miles. Insurance paid us $41k and some change which is excellent value IMO.

We are undecided as to get a 2015 Explorer Sport or wait for the '16s to come out... I really like the way the 2015's look but also love the '16s LOL.

Here's some pics of the carnage. Again, my wife walked away. All the crumple zones and safety features worked flawlessly.

20141208_173643.jpg

20141208_173516.jpg

20141208_173450.jpg

20141208_173658.jpg

20141208_174051.jpg

Screenshot_2014-12-17-13-46-14.png

The impact was so hard, the battery, fusebox, intake tubes, everything was destroyed

694a1e88-417e-4c4a-89a5-f84774c5a61a.png

Screenshot_2014-12-17-13-52-16.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that's one serious 'nose job'. Glad to hear that your wife is okay. Looking at the pictures of it in the lot, minus the fenders etc., I can't help but wonder if someone is going to buy the vehicle, fix it up and sell it.

Peter

Glad to see the Explorer kept your wife safe!!

Glad to hear that your wife is safe and the Sport did its job in protecting her. Question: is the damaged vehicle going to be parted out at a wrecking yard. I would be interested in some of the salvage parts, esp. the wheels.

Be careful out there in that nasty weather.

Is that white paint all over the front? Did she hit a paint truck?

Glad to hear that your wife is safe and the Sport did its job in protecting her. Question: is the damaged vehicle going to be parted out at a wrecking yard. I would be interested in some of the salvage parts, esp. the wheels.

Be careful out there in that nasty weather.

I was thinking the same thing. I could use some parts off that.

The truck she hit was a '91 Nissan with paint in the back yes. Weather was not an issue at the time of the wreck.

Note: This is not a "part out" thread. I did state pretty clearly that insurance did a total loss claim, and paid us out.

You may want to check ebay or other sites for the parts you're looking for.

The truck she hit was a '91 Nissan with paint in the back yes. Weather was not an issue at the time of the wreck.

Note: This is not a "part out" thread. I did state pretty clearly that insurance did a total loss claim, and paid us out.

You may want to check ebay or other sites for the parts you're looking for.

Those who were interested in parts probably assumed the junk yard it is sitting in, purchased it from the insurance company and is going to part it out.

Thankfully your wife is safe, thats a credit to the boron steel cage that we have to protect us. My suggestion is wait for 16, they start building in a few months, it will be worth it.

Thankfully your wife is safe, thats a credit to the boron steel cage that we have to protect us. My suggestion is wait for 16, they start building in a few months, it will be worth it.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't know if I want to continue to daily drive my Z06 for the next several months though; have 2 young kids too lol

Typically, the insurance company 'takes possession' of the wrecked vehicle through a network of yards that specifically hold auctions for them, usually IAA gets these.

They take a few photos and provide a brief description of what they know, i.e. starts, keys present, lot drives along with the location of the damages. After everything is settled with the insurance carrier, they run it through their auctions. In most cases, the public is not allowed to bid, you must be a dealer, rebuilder or salvage yard. That unit will probably run through the auction a couple of times with a fairly high asking price until they realize it won't fetch as much as they wanted. Then they take what they can get.

I followed my 2008 Eddie Bauer after it was totaled and it went through auction twice and they wouldn't sell it for $6500. On the third time through at auction it got to $4000 and the bidding just died. I could hear a guy in the background yell "Sell it!" and the auctioneer goes, 'The man said sell it!' and they took the $4k. FYI, it was pristine with only 36,000 miles and they paid me over $22k for it... Last June! So thier trying to recoup as much of the payout as they can. You have to find it then follow the auction and listen to find out who bought it. They're the one's who will be making the parts available.

Glad to hear the Ex did well in protecting your wife!! You can place your order now for the 16 Ex to get in line.

Quality is Job 1

Completely agree Halwg!!

Back