2013 Sport Totaled - Order a 2015? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport Totaled - Order a 2015?

NimbleNadzz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 Explorer Sport
Was in Atlanta last weekend, some dude ran a red light and I t-boned him. Insurance just gave me word that they are totaling it.

It looks like I missed the deadline to order a '14, so I'm in the market to order a '15. I think I'd rather have a '15 anyway - that heated steering wheel sounds nice after the arctic polar vortex apocalypse we've had on the east coast this year.

My dealer is clueless... It seems that orders are being accepted by Ford now and production is to start on June 2nd according to searches I've done.

If anyone ( Ford reps? ) has any official documentation/instructions I can give my dealer so I can get this moving - it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picture

Not a very good picture, but it was the only one I really felt like taking after having an airbag in my face.

Doesn't look totaled, but the adjuster stated that the frame was bent 12in and one of the motor mounts was cracked.

Attachments

• IMG_20140323_123358.jpg
    IMG_20140323_123358.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 706

Not good at all .. Glad you are ok !!

Good to hear your fine, thats a tribute to the safety of this vehicle.

Did the knee airbag go off? they added that for 2013 MY.

Thats one way to get a new vehicle!

Glad to hear you're OK. As for the 2015, I know that they're good to go because we just placed an order for a 2015 Limited. Tell your dealer to log into fmcdealer.com and all the 2015 build information is there. Best of luck to you!

- Steve

Good to hear your fine, thats a tribute to the safety of this vehicle.

Did the knee airbag go off? they added that for 2013 MY.

Thats one way to get a new vehicle!

You know, I didn't even know there was a knee airbag so I didn't check. I only observed the steering wheel and side curtain airbags ( driver/left passenger ) - but the knee may have deployed, I just didn't look. Additionally, I wasn't going too terribly fast - maybe 25mph - so maybe the impact needed to be harder to deploy the knee airbag?

My 2.5 yr/old son was in the car as well as my crated dog - both seem to be fine. In fact, I think my son & dog were less concerned than I was.

All in all, I have to agree with your assessment regarding the safety of the vehicle - we all walked away with no immediate injuries.

Glad to hear you're OK. As for the 2015, I know that they're good to go because we just placed an order for a 2015 Limited. Tell your dealer to log into fmcdealer.com and all the 2015 build information is there. Best of luck to you!

- Steve

Thanks Steve!

That looks totaled. I had a minor collision with a deer in my 2013 Sport that damaged the bumper cover, fender, one headlight and some smaller parts. The repair cost was about $4400. The headlight assemblies cost about $775 each so I can't imagine what the major parts cost.

- Steve

I went to the dealer today and despite showing them your post, they still claimed they could not order the vehicle yet. They were, however, able to see the build information. I'm curious - were you able to actually submit the order through Ford, or did your dealer just take down your order to submit later when Ford starts accepting?

My dealer is pretty convinced it will be a couple months before Ford will accept any orders for the 15's. He double checked with some other local dealers as well as one up in Jersey - in case it was a regional thing.

Any advice?

Wow, scary accident, especially with your son in the car. If the car seat is hooked up with the inflatable rear seat belts, did the belts inflate as well?

I am not sure what is salvageable by the insurance company, but the rims are one of exclusive items.

Good luck with a replacement seeing how long it takes to get a new Sport of any year.

I went to the dealer today and despite showing them your post, they still claimed they could not order the vehicle yet. They were, however, able to see the build information. I'm curious - were you able to actually submit the order through Ford, or did your dealer just take down your order to submit later when Ford starts accepting?

My dealer is pretty convinced it will be a couple months before Ford will accept any orders for the 15's. He double checked with some other local dealers as well as one up in Jersey - in case it was a regional thing.

Any advice?

Production scheduling for the '15's doesn't start until 4/17 so you have some time for them to get it figured out. Sounds like the system is a little screwy for some dealers. Just keep checking back every few days with them.

Wow, scary accident, especially with your son in the car. If the car seat is hooked up with the inflatable rear seat belts, did the belts inflate as well?
Good question... I wasn't using the belts to secure his car seat and I didn't look at the belts. The whole process went by so fast. Since I was out of state when it occurred, I haven't seen the vehicle since it was towed.

Back