• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport with broken tie rod.

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer 'Sport'
Hi folks, sorry for the big pictures.

The wife was driving the new Explorer home Friday. She was in stop and go traffic leaving a parking garage and bumped a curb. No damage to the wheel, didn't seem to be a big deal-until she got out of the garage. She heard a new noise, but the car drove fine until she got to our house.

Car was having lots of trouble, sliding around the street. Wife called saying the snow had slicked up the street; be careful.

She got the car into the garage, she was seeing an 'Terrain Warning' or something like that.

I see this, and say "get in the Honda and follow me to the Ford dealer" thinking a sensor or SW messup.

Miserable time getting the car out of the DW, only got 50 feet before it wouldn't move.

Got out to see the Pass. wheel all the way into the wheel well.

Dealer is saying bumping the curb could have done it, but also admitted that it looks like something pulled the tie rod and bent it.

Top down:
P1250340_zps217d13b7.jpg

Another TD:
P1250339_zps424fa273.jpg

Closer of outer side:
P1250338_zps504fb59e.jpg

Behind wheel shot:
P1250337_zps62c19ef7.jpg

Give me your guesses, I have one but would like to hear from you folks. The car was over 2 weeks late on delivery, and had a dent on the Passenger door when I went to look at it. (Fixed to satisfaction)

Got this same thread on SVTP, FWIW.

Thanks!

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen this happen. Some couple down the street from us got into an argument. the wife hopped into the new BMW X3 with drive-out tags on it still... she went hauling butt down our street, swerved for some reason, hit the curb, went out of control and plowed head on into an electrical transformer knocking it off it's base. Then tried to keep going (the air bags didn't go off). I was working in the yard and witnessed the entire event or I wouldn't have believed it myself. We have rounded curbs, so I think she must have done this just perfectly to hit the storm sewer drain.

Did the same thing years back ...... slid in the rain and hit the curb ...... tie rod didn't snap, but bent it real good. Actually disoriented the steering wheel 90 degrees, so just sitting in the car I knew that the front end was messed up.

My 2 cents; unless there was prior damage this was more than just bumping a curb. Thats a rather robust piece of steel that broke. I also find it hard to believe she made it home like that. However, it is the right front and this is where the caster comes from. It may have been enough to keep the wheel straight and not flop off to the side.

I have bumped many a curb in my day and never a snapped tie rod. On the bright side, the Ford tie rod ends look like they are getting better...

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm leaning towards the curb damage, but from my wife's account (admittedly, I wasn't there) it seems like the tie rods could use a bit of firming up. She maintains that in stop-and-go traffic (waiting for the cashier) she bumped the curb. I'd hope that it would take a bit more than that to cause this level of damage. Particularly on a vehicle that is touted to be offroad ready.

I'd bet that she hit that selfsame curb in the Jeep we just sold many times.

Thanks again for the replies!

Mike

Could be she hit it harder than she is telling you--
You ought to see my wife abuse the TV remote. :D

As far as "prior damage" I highly doubt it. The broken part to the right in fist picture is the lock nut for the "toe" adjustment. If that nut is one full turn off, you'd feel it in the steering wheel. If the tie rod had been bent prior to this, the alignment would have been so waked you'd have worn tires in just a few hundred miles.

On factory tie rods you will notice a "ring" cut into the shaft. Most OE tie rods have this, it is a engineered "weak spot" , or "fuse" for lack of better terms to protect the other components from damage when an impact such as this occurs. I bet there are "heavy duty" tie rods available by now.

Can you get some real close up pictures of the actual break? Does it look like someone might have sabotaged you? Could the tie rod have been "pre cut"?

If there was a crack or weakness it might show up in a picture-

Can you get some real close up pictures of the actual break? Does it look like someone might have sabotaged you? Could the tie rod have been "pre cut"?

If there was a crack or weakness it might show up in a picture-

The dealer called saying that seeing a scuff on the tire he couldn't in good conscience bill this repair to Ford.

I've asked for the piece back, and will take some more pic's when I get it.

I also see some rust in the threads where the metal's bent, saying that the stress-bend would have to have been there for long enough to rust, meaning; not Friday.

It's also been suggested I get an Oasis report. (supposed to document damage)

I'm looking online for that now.

Since I'm the only one with a broken tie rod on this board, it sounds like it would take more than a curb to bend one...

Thanks guys. In the future, I may have to fab up a manner of stregthening the piece.

-Edit- just spoke with my salesman, noting my concerns that there is rust in the bent threads, and it looked like when the car was tied down they'd gotten the tie rod instead of only the lower control arm; and asked for an oasis report. He will get the service manager to generate one and we'll have a look.

-Double edit- Oasis report showed mud flaps installed, and a Sync update performed, nothing else. I didn't see it, though. Never mentioned the body shop for the small dent. I asked about TSB's and recalls while there, he said only the Sync update was out for this vehicle.

He will save the parts.

On factory tie rods you will notice a "ring" cut into the shaft. Most OE tie rods have this, it is a engineered "weak spot" , or "fuse" for lack of better terms to protect the other components from damage when an impact such as this occurs. I bet there are "heavy duty" tie rods available by now.

I've heard the same for 03/04 Cobra half-shafts.

BTW, you got me curious about this.

Found these shots from a thread here, showing your engineered weakness:

MNEXinners_passucaloose2.jpg

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297369&page=2

The way that thing broke in the middle like that and not at the end points makes me think you just had the bad luck of a bad tie rod....

The way it broke looks like it bent first....which would lead me to believe it bent when your SA hit something harder than she is telling you. Just my opinion......

Back