2013 Sport with P0299 code (Underboost) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport with P0299 code (Underboost)

mguy13sport

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I keep getting the P0299 code for Turbo (driver side) Underboost. I tightened all of the hoses up, cleared the code and it now it has come back again. I don't really notice any power loss and the engine light never comes on.

I have read that this is common on the F150s but that is related to the turbo failing. I understand the Explorer uses different turbos so I hope that is not my issue.

Have any other Sport owners experienced this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Underboost with loss of power is usually:

1. Split/damaged/loose boost hoses/pipes
2. Wastegate not closing fully (may require turbo replacement unless you find a shop that can, and will, service it)
3. Turbo is damaged (bad vanes, split shaft connecting vanes, shaft is seized, etc...)

If no loss of power, could be a sensor/electrical issue.

I'm not sure on the threshold for the underboost code to set, so it's possible it may only be underboosting slightly and you may not feel the power loss since you have two turbos.

I keep getting the P0299 code for Turbo (driver side) Underboost. I tightened all of the hoses up, cleared the code and it now it has come back again. I don't really notice any power loss and the engine light never comes on.

I have read that this is common on the F150s but that is related to the turbo failing. I understand the Explorer uses different turbos so I hope that is not my issue.

Have any other Sport owners experienced this?
Did you ever get this fixed??

Peter

Did you ever get this fixed??

Peter

I ended up buying new Mahle turbos off amazon. The underboost code was caused by the broken wastegate linkage on the front mount turbo. I could have fixed it but my car had 120k miles on it so time to upgrade. I put the new turbo in and its been good so far. I still need to replace the rear. The rear is original and works fine but it has high miles (now 130k) and rattles on cold start. No codes tho. I just did the waterpump, timing gear, etc... So its getting there haha

Back