2013 Steering Clunk | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Steering Clunk

Wardster

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
This morning I dropped my 2013 2WD Ford Explorer off at the dealership to have the front end looked at. Over the past month, I started to hear a clunking noise coming from the front of the vehicle. If I am sitting in Park with the Explorer running and then turn the steering wheel from one side to the other, then I hear the clunking. I have not had a warning message come up to suggest that it has anything to do with recall 14S06, but I can't be certain.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did they determine was the cause?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Wardster.:wavey:
Hopefully the dealer will be able to find and fix the problem. There have been a few members that have found worn strut mounts.

Peter

Sounds like they are going to have to replace the front upper strut bearings. Waiting on a copy of the estimate to come through now.

Out of warranty?

Peter

Well if you look at the positive side, that is still less than you would have paid for a Ford ESP. Let's hope nothing else goes wrong in the near future.

Peter

My 2013 Explorer with 100k miles on it has developed a clunking noise when I turn the steering wheel from side to side. It is most noticeable when the vehicle is sitting still or moving slowly over rough speed humps or curbs. Any ideas what might be the cause?

I had a similar thing happen with my Kia. It ended up being the steering coupler, where the steering shaft connects to the rack. It was a $5 part, and $200 in labor.

My 2013 Explorer with 100k miles on it has developed a clunking noise when I turn the steering wheel from side to side. It is most noticeable when the vehicle is sitting still or moving slowly over rough speed humps or curbs. Any ideas what might be the cause?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one on a similar issue. There are several other threads on front end 'clunks'/noises. You can find them using the handy 'Search' feature located at the top right. There are not too many issues that haven't already been discussed here.

Peter

Back