2013 Tail Lights, License Plate Light and Rear Side Markers don't work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Tail Lights, License Plate Light and Rear Side Markers don't work.

Guitarbluesharp

Reaction score
City, State
Shoreview, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Interceptor Utility
When I turn on the headlights or the parking lights, the LED circle, the side parking markers and the license plate lights do not work on both sides in the back. Totally black, so I can't drive at night. The brake lights, blinker/flashers and backup lights all work fine. I just replaced the passenger side unit because the other one was cracked and had water in it which took out the LED ring. I saw a post similar to this on a F150 Forum that said the problem was with the C405 connector getting wet. Has anyone seen this before? If so, can you tell the location of the C405 connector? Here's a link to that discussion: Tail lights and Plate lights not working - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When you mentioned that you replaced the passenger side unit I'm guessing that was the complete light fixture assembly?
Not sure if this will help. It applies to the retail Explorer. C405 is in the lower right. Have you checked fuses/relays?

1619218271033.png

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When you mentioned that you replaced the passenger side unit I'm guessing that was the complete light fixture assembly?
Not sure if this will help. It applies to the retail Explorer. C405 is in the lower right. Have you checked fuses/relays?

View attachment 329802
Peter
Hey Peter, Thanks for posting this. I replaced the whole unit. I couldn't find the fuse in the online manual. I called Ford and they said #81, a 20A fuse near the battery. There was one #40, a 10A fuse under the dash that I heard about and a relay in the box next to the battery. It was next to the AC clutch. I switched them since they were identical. No luck. If you know of a fuse that could be the one, that would really help if that was all it was. Thanks again. Mike

Looking at the 2013 Interceptor Manual, #81 shows it is a 20A fuse for Spot Lights. The 40A fuse in the cabin fuse panel shows it is for Rear park lamps, License plate lamps (Utility). I'm not sure what you mean by the "LED circle". Did you find the connector?

Peter

Looking at the 2013 Interceptor Manual, #81 shows it is a 20A fuse for Spot Lights. The 40A fuse in the cabin fuse panel shows it is for Rear park lamps, License plate lamps (Utility). I'm not sure what you mean by the "LED circle". Did you find the connector?

Peter
Hi Peter, The fuse in the cabin is #40 10A Rear Park lamps, License Plate lamps. I checked that one. It was a bear to get to. The LED circle works for braking but not when driving or in park. Haven't got to it yet. Thanks for looking at the manual for me.

Mike

Hi Peter, The fuse in the cabin is #40 10A Rear Park lamps, License Plate lamps. I checked that one. It was a bear to get to. The LED circle works for braking but not when driving or in park. Haven't got to it yet. Thanks for looking at the manual for me.

Mike
Any update on the issue Mike?

Peter

Back