2013 Utility Wiring help, rear tail light brake lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Utility Wiring help, rear tail light brake lights

azinterceptor

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 interceptor utility
Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2013 Utility from the highway patrol. It appears that the middle brake light works, turn signals, but I do not have the left and right brake lights or reverse lights.

All the wiring is hooked up, but I did see some splicing and a wheelin module connected to the taillight.

Do I need to bypass the wheelin module or do I need to rewire the taillight to get the brake lights to work again?

I was hoping someone here has dealt with this already and might have a wiring diagram or pictures on how to get it all working again?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2013 Utility from the highway patrol. It appears that the middle brake light works, turn signals, but I do not have the left and right brake lights or reverse lights.

All the wiring is hooked up, but I did see some splicing and a wheelin module connected to the taillight.

Do I need to bypass the wheelin module or do I need to rewire the taillight to get the brake lights to work again?

I was hoping someone here has dealt with this already and might have a wiring diagram or pictures on how to get it all working again?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Here is the wiring diagram for the lights. I'm not sure how helpful this is but maybe if you can share a pic of what you see with everyone here we can compare what our's look like vs. what you have.
screen-shot-2020-01-30-at-3.29.39-pm.png

Here is the wiring diagram for the lights. I'm not sure how helpful this is but maybe if you can share a pic of what you see with everyone here we can compare what our's look like vs. what you have.
screen-shot-2020-01-30-at-3.29.39-pm.png
Thanks for the help. Ok so I ripped out all the plastics in the back and it appears the led bulbs are connected to a wire harness for the police lights. Whalen adapters connect to the outer led bulbs, so I am assuming since all the police wiring has been disconnected; no power going to any lights...
The oem led brake light now has no power and will need to be wired back into the stock harness wiring.

I am going to take it to a pro that wires these cars up for the local PD and see if he can rewire it so they work.

I think worst case scenario I could rewire the left and right brake light to run off the Working third brake light, but that would be my last resort. At least they are all LED so they don't draw a lot of power.

I will let you know how it goes, once I take it to the pro.

Ok got my rear brake lights and reverse lights working. Appears it needed to be rewired back to the oem wires, had strobes in the brake lights and reverse lights.

Utility also had oem strobes in the rear mounted with the turn signal housing. Might just connect them to the reverse light bulbs so I have clear light coming from the center of the rear and the top.

Back