2013 xlt 202A 9 speaker premium audio amplifier? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 xlt 202A 9 speaker premium audio amplifier?

hmsracing

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
OK guys,
Has anyone with the 9 speaker premium audio done any upgrades yet...I searched the forum and can only find limited models with Sony system....
I had the understanding that there was also an OEM amp behind the passenger rear panel. Well I removed mine and found no amplifier there.....so my question is has anyone noticed this...if there is an amp, where is it...and if not is it easy to tap into head unit of MFT to add a processor and amps.....
I was planning on tapping into the OEM amp to install the jbl ms-8 processor and a custom fiberglass enclosure behind the panel using a shallow jbl 10 inch sub and mono amp....
But now if no amp I would have to tap into head unit....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I guess no one is sure so I asked Crystal to check in on it for me and this is what she sent back to me....
read below...

re: 2013 explorer xlt 202A 9 speaker premium audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsracing
Hello there,
I have searched everywhere and no one seams to have the answer so I was hoping u could help....
I was under the assumption that there was an amp behind the passenger side rear panel but some say just the Sony system and otherr say there is one. I pulled it out some and did not see an amp there like I have in other pics from limited models....
Can u tell me if there is an amp with this system and if so where is it and if not then is it just coming from radio unit or MFT...
Thanks very much
Rodney
Hi Rodney,

Good question! I've reached out to my technical advisor on this and will contact you once I hear back.

Crystal
Thanks a lot Crystal...
I have a 2013 and I have seen pics from a 2011 xlt with 9 speaker premium and there is an amp back there and others have told me there's does but can't find anyone with a 2013 xlt 202A to confirm.....
Hi Rodney,

I received this message back from my technical advisor: "Only the Sony system has a separate amplifier for the speakers. Based on the customers post it looks like they have just the Premium Sound which does not have a separate amp. (this is based off the vehicle description in blue at the top of the post). So with this vehicle it gets the speaker power directly from the ACM (Audio Control Module) aka radio."

If you have any additional questions, let me know!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

So, in other words, even though we have a Premium 9 speaker sound system there is no separate amplifier....Which this explains why When i pulled my passenger side rear panel looking for the "amp", there was no "amp"...LOL

Now I thought I read a post that showed a pic of a 2011 XLT 202A with 9 speaker premium and he had an amplifier in same location as Sony Premium in Limited....

So did they change this for 2012, 2013 or was he messing with all of us...I will try to find the post....

There is no AMP on the 2014 model. I place an am into the car and there is a whining noise from the factory radio. Still trying to figure out if I can upgrade.

Noise in the amp of a 2014 Ford Explorer

Well, I have been having that problem for quite some time now. I have a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with the premium sound system and I have replace my speakers and installed an amp. Everything is Rockford Fosgate. I can only put the amp at a "3" level without hearing a whining noise from the transmission or alternator. The ground is fine and there are noise blockers in the amp. I had the amp rewired to remove the noise and no success. I am at a loss of how to solve this problem.

Check your other post I commented on. Ground loop isolator

Back