2013 XLT - 93k miles, $15000 - should I buy it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 XLT - 93k miles, $15000 - should I buy it?

D

donathius

I'm in need of a new car, but never owned a modern Ford (the 1973 F100 I had in high school doesn't count lol). This thing is just top of the line from what I can see. It hits all the nerd buttons - touch screen, backup camera, bluetooth, etc. Also has the space we're looking for.

It's a 2013 XLT, 93,000 miles and I've talked the dealer down to $15k out the door. My big concern is the mileage on it - am I going to start having problems with this after I drive off the lot? I'm replacing a 2004 Honda CRV that has been the most trouble-free car I've ever owned so I'm a little wary of switching brands. What say you Explorer enthusiasts? I'm buying from a dealership - no warranty but they're a very reputable dealer and assured me it's been given a thorough check by their mechanics.

Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=BDW_3&vin=1FM5K8D87DGA76466

Dealer listing (no pics yet since they just got it, but I've seen it and driven it - looks/feels flawless to me): https://www.brentbrowntoyota.com/in...lorer-xlt-4wd-sport-utility-1fm5k8d87dga76466

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum donathius.:wave:
I share your concern about the mileage. In checking the Carfax report I didn't notice where any brakes were replaced. NOt sure if that is a thing they report but it is definitely worth looking in to. Also, at the current mileage you are approaching a few of the milestones that the Manual lists. At 100k miles, change the engine coolant and spark plugs. At 150k change automatic transmission fluid and accessory drive belt if not replaced during the 100k miles.
There have been reports of water pump failures on some Explorers and this vehicle has the water pump inside the engine making for an expensive repair ($1600 reported by a member) should it fail. Here are a couple threads from the Forum on the issue.
Unfortunately I don't believe there is any way to test it. If not caught in time it could damage the engine.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/water-pump-failed.375374/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ter-pump-failure-leads-to-dead-engine.424482/
Check for signs of water in the spare tire well or signs that it had been wet. Water leaks were one of the early model issues.
Even though the vehicle has undergone a thorough check/inspection, even the best mechanic can't predict when or if a part will actually fail.
I'm sure that other members will be posting their opinions as well.
EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is to check the front lip of the hood for paint bubbles.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/hood-paint-bubble-issue-only.326943/

Peter

The average person doesn't drive a car in excess of 23,000 miles a year. The big problem I see is that it was a rental car for it's 1st 18 months. Then someone bought it from the rental company and put a pretty standard amount of miles on it. They probably got rid of it because of the high mileage before the 18 month beating it took was able to cost them a whole lot of money.

I would definitely stay away from a car that was a rental and is now going on it's 3rd owner. Get a one owner 2013 that has less than 50,000 miles on it. You'll be much better off.

Nerd Buttons :laugh:. Sounds like high mileage and high price. If you want kinda trouble free buy a Honda Pilot or 4Runner:dpchug:. If you want something that looks decent without the outdated styling buy an Explorer...comparing vehicles in the same price range regardless of year.
The main issue is, say if you only drive 2000 miles a year you can go out and buy a Dodge or some other crap, the amount of problems based on mileage would be very low then.

Check the Explorers on eBay and compare the prices for that year. Some are higher, some are lower. It doesn't appear to be that bad a deal if it has all the features you want.

You can buy a Ford OEM extended warranty for the next 3-4 years on it for peace of mind. My contact that several dozens have boiught from sells them $100 over cost but being it isn't C PO, would require an inspection and form signed off stating nothing is wrong. Maybe get that dealer to do the inspection and sign off on it as part of the deal so you have it in your hands.

Nerd Buttons :laugh:. Sounds like high mileage and high price. If you want kinda trouble free buy a Honda Pilot or 4Runner:dpchug:. If you want something that looks decent without the outdated styling buy an Explorer...comparing vehicles in the same price range regardless of year.
The main issue is, say if you only drive 2000 miles a year you can go out and buy a Dodge or some other crap, the amount of problems based on mileage would be very low then.

But a Pilot is small and crappy ride. And the 4Runner is more expensive (but sweet)!

Rental is an automatic no deal for me.

But a Pilot is small and crappy ride. And the 4Runner is more expensive (but sweet)!
at 15$K the 2009? body style Pilot is the same size if not bigger, same ride, the 4Runner at the same price would end being around the same year also maybe a mid 2000. I think the older Pilots look a little goofy though, just personal taste,

These people agree:thumbsup: https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-th...swer-honda-pilot-or-ford-explorer/2000009024/

you get more stuff with less money and newer model with the Exploders usually

explorer-vs-pilot-(1)-600-001.jpg

My 06 is bigger and rides better than a 13 Pilot. You have no room in the backseat

You can buy a Ford OEM extended warranty for the next 3-4 years on it for peace of mind. My contact that several dozens have boiught from sells them $100 over cost but being it isn't C PO, would require an inspection and form signed off stating nothing is wrong. Maybe get that dealer to do the inspection and sign off on it as part of the deal so you have it in your hands.
For what its worth, CPO is a scam in a lot of cases. I purchased my 2016 Explorer as a CPO but when I got it home I realized the tires needed to be replaced immediately, the positive battery terminal was corroded and there were some issues with the paint that can only be fixed by re-painting the hood. Maybe the paint was on me but it was rainy outside when I bought this car and I could have done a better job of inspecting it. On the other hand, the CPO label makes you trust the seller more than you really should. It looks to me like this car was never inspected, yet it was sold as CPO.

https://www.autocheatsheet.com/car-dealer-scams/certified-used-car-scam.html

Wow, this is some great feedback guys. Really appreciate all the input. I've decided to forgo the Explorer mainly due to the high mileage. This is going to be the new family car, and I want something I'm not going to have to worry about. I'm keeping my eyes open for lower mileage. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch (I can change my oil and brakes, but that's about it) so DIY repairs are definitely out for me - everything would be done by a mechanic.

Thanks a ton!

For what its worth, CPO is a scam in a lot of cases. I purchased my 2016 Explorer as a CPO but when I got it home I realized the tires needed to be replaced immediately, the positive battery terminal was corroded and there were some issues with the paint that can only be fixed by re-painting the hood. Maybe the paint was on me but it was rainy outside when I bought this car and I could have done a better job of inspecting it. On the other hand, the CPO label makes you trust the seller more than you really should. It looks to me like this car was never inspected, yet it was sold as CPO.

https://www.autocheatsheet.com/car-dealer-scams/certified-used-car-scam.html

Have to agree with the above regarding CPO
Main reasons being that since 99.99% of the public has no ideas how a car work, taking advantage of them is a very easy things to do.
Same thing with those so-called multi-points inspection that come free with minor services such as an oil change.
More often than not, it's 100% BS and they don't check anything or worse, they tell you that you need a brake job or something else that you don't really need.
Some business/services are more prone to rip-off for the simple reason that it is very hard for the regular person to know if the job was done correctly or even done at all.
I mean, if you pay someone to mow the grass, you can see the result but if you call to have you dishwasher fixed, are you really sure that, as told, the issue was with the pump instead of a fuse or clogged filter?
Me, yes, but most people wont know

Have to agree with the above regarding CPO
Main reasons being that since 99.99% of the public has no ideas how a car work, taking advantage of them is a very easy things to do.
Same thing with those so-called multi-points inspection that come free with minor services such as an oil change.
More often than not, it's 100% BS and they don't check anything or worse, they tell you that you need a brake job or something else that you don't really need.
Some business/services are more prone to rip-off for the simple reason that it is very hard for the regular person to know if the job was done correctly or even done at all.
I mean, if you pay someone to mow the grass, you can see the result but if you call to have you dishwasher fixed, are you really sure that, as told, the issue was with the pump instead of a fuse or clogged filter?
Me, yes, but most people wont know
Yeah, I thought I was too technical to get scammed myself but I had been researching prices and features and got too wrapped up in the bells and whistles to check the basics. It can happen to anyone.

Wow, this is some great feedback guys. Really appreciate all the input. I've decided to forgo the Explorer mainly due to the high mileage. This is going to be the new family car, and I want something I'm not going to have to worry about. I'm keeping my eyes open for lower mileage. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch (I can change my oil and brakes, but that's about it) so DIY repairs are definitely out for me - everything would be done by a mechanic.

Thanks a ton!

If it were me I would shop for a retired police intercept. One that was used at the airport or on a collage campus or some other light duty. Look into the differences and see if it appeals to you. They can be found with low miles and can be a good purchase.

Back