2014 AC turns on by itself | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 AC turns on by itself

skygeezer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
Hi
I have a 2014 XLT. I always turn the AC off before shutting off the engine. Every so often, when I restart the truck, the AC light is illuminated and I can hear the compressor engage without me pushing the button.. Has anyone else experienced this? The first time it did this was in the winter at which time I didn't think the AC should turn on at all (below 40 degrees outside)?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you leaving it on auto or manual control when shutting off the engine?

If the inside of the car is hot, or damp (high humidity), mine will turn on to cool the car and remove the moisture.

Does your XLT not have a light to the left of the on/off button that says "Auto"?

Any cords dangling down? My GPS cord always makes contact with the A/C functions and turns it on.

Assuming you have MFT with touch climate controls, no auto
but manual settings,
what is your manual temp set to ?

If your manuall set temp is below what the thermometer display says, it will turn the ac on right after the engine to begin cooling down to your temp setting.
(shouldnt do this in winter temps)

So if cabin temp display is 75* and your manual setting is 74*,
the ac will activate, regardless if its a hot/muggy 75 or a comfortable 75.

Modern newer vehicles are programmed to run the ac compressor at start up briefly to lubricate the seals in the ac system. The worst thing for ac systems are to sit idle for long periods. My f150 cycles about three times within the first two or three miles then turns off.

Standard XLT models that do not have the rapid spec 202a pkg. come with manual climate control only, no auto.

The a/c will turn on automatically when defrost is selected.

Back