2014 Ex. Sport - $1,600 for front brakes and LCA bushings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ex. Sport - $1,600 for front brakes and LCA bushings?

BrianTheLion

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hi All,

2014 Ford Explorer Sport relatively low mileage (<60k).

I took my car in for a service today at the Ford dealership where I bought it used. Ostensibly there was nothing wrong with the car (I just wanted an oil change) but I was informed that there's a host of issues that need redressing, some of which are thankfully covered under warranty.

Nevertheless, the front brake pads are worn (agree) and apparently the lower control arm bushings are worn and need replacing. I agreed to get both done without really analyzing the cost because I was focused on all of the warranty work. For the front brakes (including rotors), I'm being charged just over $800 in total ($530 for parts) and to replace the bushings in the lower control arms I'm being charged (just over $700 ($145 for parts).

I took a look at various parts costs and it does feel like I'm really being significantly over-charged. I was under the impression that brakes would cost $500 or so and from what I'm reading, the lower control arm bushing aren't too expensive and the while the labor cost would be higher, $560 is very high.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Note that I'm not in a position to do these myself at the moment so comparing to a DIY project isn't realistic, but I'm trying to form a view as to whether I re-visit this dealership in the future.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front rotors retail is $120 each, pads are $82.. so that is $320 for parts at MSRP for brakes.

The bushing is discontinued so not sure what the dealer is using. Control arms are $225 retail.

I have no clue on labor but brakes dont take long.. definitely getting overcharged.

Screenshot_20200217-220751_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200217-220811_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200217-220934_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200217-220942_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200217-221030_Chrome.jpg

<snip>

I agreed to get both done without really analyzing the cost because I was focused on all of the warranty work.

<snip>

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Note that I'm not in a position to do these myself at the moment so comparing to a DIY project isn't realistic, but I'm trying to form a view as to whether I re-visit this dealership in the future.

So, it sounds like you had the dealer do the repairs at the prices indicated and now you are just asking for feedback if you got a deal or were screwed? If so, next time, always get a second opinion and shop around, especially for basic/standard repairs such as brakes and suspension/alignment.

If you had the repairs completed and really want any kind of meaningful and useful answers, you should probably post the repair order with the details. What was the other work that was done under warranty? What warranty was it done under?

Off the cuff, the prices seem high, but without the detail of what was actual done, all anyone can do is speculate which won't really provide you with the info you need to decide if it is worthwhile for you to re-visit the dealer in the future or not.

So, it sounds like you had the dealer do the repairs at the prices indicated and now you are just asking for feedback if you got a deal or were screwed? If so, next time, always get a second opinion and shop around, especially for basic/standard repairs such as brakes and suspension/alignment.

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

At the time I posted, I'd agreed to the repairs/replacement, but it is still a work in progress. I was caught off-guard on the phone because I'd put the car in for an oil change and to re-connect my horn and the conversation went like this:

Dealer: "Hey, good news, we've reconnected the horn"
Me: "Oh great"
Dealer: "Not so good news. Your front brakes are worn and will need replacement"
Me: "Ok, kind of what I was expecting. What are we talking?"
Dealer: "Oh that's not the bad news"
Me: "Oh?"
Dealer: "Your LCA bushing are worn and need replacement"
Me: "Oh. That's not good. What's that going to cost?"
Dealer: "Yeah, that's not the bad news either. Your PTU is on its last legs and so is your lower turbo. They need replacing"
Dealer: "You're looking at $5,500"

My stomach sank and I told them not to do any work, but then reminded them that I had a CPO vehicle and mentioned the Powertrain warranty. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't realise this, but then they confirmed that both the PTU and turbo would be covered. So in the relief that I could get these replaced under warranty I agreed to get the brakes and lower control arm fixed without seeing the breakdown of parts/labor etc.

I have a good relationship with the dealership in general and I'm not trying to nickel and dime them (mechanics are massively underappreciated and underpaid IMO), but considering it's only two brakes/rotors, when I stopped to think about the cost it seemed beyond what I'd consider 'high'. I've since spoken to them and they'll see what they can do on the final invoice.

They should, but don't need to, charge nothing for the labor of the rotors and pads cause that crap is coming off anyway when they remove the lower control arms.

They should, but don't need to, charge nothing for the labor of the rotors and pads cause that crap is coming off anyway when they remove the lower control arms.

Wow, what a good point. You are absolutely right.. in theory he should be paying for labor of the control arms plus parts.

It's like paying someone to replace the alternator and them charging you to replace the belt as well.

If PTU is being replaced, pass side LCA has to be partially dropped to remove halfshaft/linkshaft, so that's another area for some possible flat rate double dipping.

Anyway, like I said before, without details (like a repair order),it's all just speculation/guesses/assumptions/conjecture...

As for the OP, if you don't feel comfortable being direct with the dealer and asking them to stop customer pay repairs, some people find it easier to make up an excuse to soften the blow - hours at work were cut/bonus didn't come through, unexpected house expense/repair (furnace/water heater/etc...), or whatever works for you. That will buy you some time to get a second opinion and explore your options.

That's right just pure speculation on the info given. Which is all I'm gonna speculate on. hehe. I definitely hope there's good reasoning for the steep price that we don't know about. As you said, who knows without the work order to look at.

Here's how much I know about the vehicle, but they're only replacing the front brakes/rotors - am I right in thinking there are lower control arms on the front and rear so it might be possible that they're only replacing the rear bushings?

As for being comfortable talking the the Service Manager, I've expressed that I thought the price was high so he said he'll see what he can do. I have to take partial ownership of this - I was focusing on seeing if there were any repairs under warranty so I said yes to the brakes/bushings when I found out that the PTU and Turbo were covered - but I did agree to have the work done.

I'll see how it goes - I'm still waiting to find out when the work is done,

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Yeah if u find out they were talking about the rear LCA’s then that’s definitely separate labor charges. At least you got the big items replaced under a warranty. I’ve knowingly overpaid in the past because of time constraints and laziness on my part. If the moneys been spent already then I wouldn’t even worry about it to an extent.

At least you got the big items replaced under a warranty. I’ve knowingly overpaid in the past because of time constraints and laziness on my part. If the moneys been spent already then I wouldn’t even worry about it to an extent.

Thanks. I was actually in the market for something Japanese and bulletproof when I bought this, but I couldn't walk away from the 3.5 TT and the fact that they were selling it with a CPO for the same price as a lot of non-CPO comparable Explorers.

I'm still in two minds about Ford. It's a great vehicle and it's never actually 'quit' on me, but I've had to do quite a bit of work on it, most of which was covered under the CPO. Having said that, when things have needed fixing, the dealership and presumably Ford's Oasis system have been extremely efficient in approving warranty work without any hassles. The fact that I'm out of the 1 year CPO, but still covered under the 100,000 mile/7yr drivetrain warranty for the expensive bits is a credit to the value of their CPO.

Here's hoping it's relatively trouble-free after this but I suspect it might have had a hard life for the first 40,000 miles before I bought it!

Here's how much I know about the vehicle, but they're only replacing the front brakes/rotors - am I right in thinking there are lower control arms on the front and rear so it might be possible that they're only replacing the rear bushings?

As for being comfortable talking the the Service Manager, I've expressed that I thought the price was high so he said he'll see what he can do. I have to take partial ownership of this - I was focusing on seeing if there were any repairs under warranty so I said yes to the brakes/bushings when I found out that the PTU and Turbo were covered - but I did agree to have the work done.

I'll see how it goes - I'm still waiting to find out when the work is done,

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I think I'm more confused now than I was before.

You authorized work that is somewhat expensive by most peoples standards, and don't really understand what you agreed to and is being done? How does one even have a conversation with the service manager and express that they think the price is high if they don't even understand the scope of what is being done? I hope it wasn't solely based on random advice from an online forum. ;-)

Also, if you have a good relationship with the dealer and they had been "extremely efficient in approving warranty work without any hassles", it seems odd that they originally presented you with a full customer pay bill and you had to remind them of your warranty. The first thing my service writer does when he starts writing me up for a visit is to check the warranty status of the vehicle so he can have me sign off on charges, if any, that I will be responsible for (diagnostic and/or repair related).

Maybe it's just the cynical side of me, but something just seems off. Anyway, best of luck and hope it all works out for you in the end.

Back