2014 Explorer base model radio upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer base model radio upgrade

ivansix1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Base Model
hello friend,

I just wanted to ask you something.

I have a 2011 ford explorer base, brings a basic sound system, I want to change it for the sound system xlt version, touch screen etc.

change can do it? buying a used unit on ebay for example.

changing the harness with the same inputs and outputs work perfectly?

Please help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum ivansix1.:wavey:
I'm not aware of anyone here switching a Base model radio for an XLT or Limited radio. Aftermarket might be the way to go. Also keep in mind that the 2011 Base model has 6 speakers and the XLT has 8.
Good luck.:thumbsup:

Peter

Has anybody been successful in upgrading a base explorer radio to a limited sony radio. I have a 2014 base and would like to do so with 2 base explorers. The crutchfiedl set up doesn't look stock and not sure if the rear heat/ac controls work the same. 8 inch touch screen setups at a junk yard go for $240-400

By the time you do the cost and reconfigurations--the latter of which are tricker than you'd think--you'll be well past the cost of a good aftermarket setup.

Treat yourself to a less-factory look, and get yourself a much better sounding unit with CarPlay/Android Auto (if you're into that sort of feature set.)

If you're committed to factory, upgrade the existing speakers on the cheap and leave the HU--you'll be surprised how far that gets you. I did it with my 2014 Taurus which had MFT, and the sound just from doing that was incredible given the factory paper cones that it shipped with.

Has anybody been successful in upgrading a base explorer radio to a limited sony radio. I have a 2014 base and would like to do so with 2 base explorers. The crutchfiedl set up doesn't look stock and not sure if the rear heat/ac controls work the same. 8 inch touch screen setups at a junk yard go for $240-400
Do you still have the 2008 XLT? If so, please add the 2014 Base to your signature or update your profile. Thanks. Good luck with your project.

Peter

Is there a setup similar to SYNC in the aftermarket? I bought a base but have been spoiled by my gf's fusion with SYNC.

Is there a setup similar to SYNC in the aftermarket? I bought a base but have been spoiled by my gf's fusion with SYNC.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Go with an S160 Android head unit. It's plug and play on the base models (I installed it in a 2015 Police Utility). I've had mine for a year and it's worked better than I expected.

20161119180249-a7600aab-me.jpg

Will the S160 work on a 2017 base?

Go with an S160 Android head unit. It's plug and play on the base models (I installed it in a 2015 Police Utility). I've had mine for a year and it's worked better than I expected.

Hi There

Do you recommend this S160 unit? I have a 2013PI

Can anyone who has this Chinese ruspe 8 or the s160 unit verify that it works the rear HVAC unit in the vehicle as well?

Did you get the unit with manual or auto A/C?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back