2014 Explorer Drive train whirr noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Drive train whirr noise

Rick_Ford

Reaction score
City, State
Portugal Cove
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Xlt
Hi all, at about 60000mi I'm getting a fairly loud whirr from the drive train. I jacked up front both wheels of the ground and wheels spin together by hand ok, no obvious sign of bearing issues, did same for rear. Gets louder the faster I go. Almost sounds as if I had a set of super aggressive off-road tires. Everything else seems normal. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are your tires?
Wheel bearings?

Hi all, at about 60000mi I'm getting a fairly loud whirr from the drive train. I jacked up front both wheels of the ground and wheels spin together by hand ok, no obvious sign of bearing issues, did same for rear. Gets louder the faster I go. Almost sounds as if I had a set of super aggressive off-road tires. Everything else seems normal. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum Rick.:wave:
I'm not that familiar with wheel bearing as far as them going bad but is it possible that they didn't make a noise because you took the weight off them?

Peter

Hi Thanks, tires are in very good condition. I've jacked up the vehicle to check the wheel bearings, is there some other way to diagnose the wheel bearings?

Typically a bad wheel bearing will make more noise when you are turning at higher speeds, such as on an on / off ramp. Turning increases thrust on the bearing which amplifies the noise. HOWEVER some times the noise does not increase. My bet is a wheel bearing as the noise matches speed, not engine RPM. With the weight off the wheel you likely not be able to hear it.

Are you above or below 60,000? I had a wheel bearing replaced under the Powertrain warranty.

Thanks again guys, it's over 60k sadly...thanks though, the noise doesn't increase while turning but you could be right having taken the weight off it's hard to tell which wheel. Guess i'll have to keep driving it until it becomes more obvious?

Just out of curiosity Rick, do you still have the factory tires on? The reason I ask is wifes EX. has 55,000 on the clock and the tread depth is still good but the tires are getting loud as the rubber is getting harder with age and they are quiet when the streets are wet. It's time for tires soon.

Hey I actually got net tires last year, they're Michelin latitude tour very quiet. The sound is very loud, more than tires I think. Is anyone having transfer case issues?

Hey I actually got net tires last year, they're Michelin latitude tour very quiet. The sound is very loud, more than tires I think. Is anyone having transfer case issues?
If you are referring to the PTU (Power Transfer Unit) then, yes. Many members have had issues with not only leaks but bad units.

Peter

A bad bearing will eventually get loud even at very low speeds, and you'll hear it well before you'd expect tire noise. We had the passenger-side rear go out twice - first at 38K and again at 73K. The latter was masked a bit as we had snow tires on for the winter. Once those came off, it was very noticeable but not easily isolated to one side, until it got very loud.

Word to the wise - at 60K in the snow zone the hubs will have corrosion-welded themselves into the spindles. Not fun as a DIY project. I figured the hub that had been in less than 2 years would be an easy pull. Not a chance. I beat on it, tried a heavy slide hammer for hours and it wouldn't budge. Finally took it to a family friend that is a mechanic. He had a $500 tool called a Hub Grappler. That did the trick, but it was slow going.

OK, i may also have to continue driving until i can identify which bearing it is.

Is there any way to verify it's not the PTU?

Thanks

I would guess the PTU sound might be audible with a stethoscope on the PTU with all four wheels off the ground and spinning, be very careful. If it is a wheel bearing buy a high quality replacement or tell who ever is doing the work to use Timken or Moog. No cheap import crap. My son had the job done on Dodge Caravan during the winter and the replacement lasted less than a year., We did it the second time and used Timken and its been money since.

Ok thanks again, ill let you know how it goes

I had the left rear wheel bearing go bad on my 2014 at 70,000. I initially thought it was the tires. Spinning the wheel while jacked up I could not feel anything in the bearing. I had a shop put it on a lift and then put in drive and we could isolate the sound to the left rear. I had the ESP warranty and dealer replaced uner warranty and the noise was gone.

Thanks!

OK Thanks i may try this too

got it fixed yet?

i have the same issue and i think this thread is also the same issue : Harmonic/humming noise from EX

sounds appearing when driving at RPM 1250 - 1500

it's more noticeable from the passenger side and i can feel a slight shake under passenger legs

drive shaft- wheel baring are new, still the same issue

Back