2014 Explorer -- front tie down for canoe/kayak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer -- front tie down for canoe/kayak

danmc

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
Hello,

I have a stock 2014 Explorer that I've had for a few months. Does anyone have suggestions to where I can attach a front tie down for a canoe or kayak? I have a yakima rail grab rack attached to factory rails although before that I put the canoe straight on the factory rails.

On the back of the vehicle, I just add a rear tie down between the boat and the hitch. So in an emergency stop I shouldn't lose the boat off of the front.

On the front though I don't see any sort of solid place and I'd feel better knowing there is something to help counter the wind and just in general provide some extra security. When it comes to things on the roof, I want to make darn sure they stay there.

My folks have had the same challenge with their 2010 Explorer.

Thanks
-Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dan, if the tie down point doesn't have to be centered, why not use the tow hook?

Peter

Dan, if the tie down point doesn't have to be centered, why not use the tow hook?

Peter

Is there a tow hook? I didn't see one.

-Dan

Should be with the spare tire. You have to screw it in

The tow hook should be in with your car jack. It screws into a place on the front bumper, passenger side. The little plastic lid pops out and the eye hook screws in. There are other pictures in a thread I saw yesterday but haven't found that yet.

Peter

Attachments

• P1140172_1.JPG
    P1140172_1.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 662

Found it. Thanks! Wish they had one on both sides but this helps.

-Dan

Back