2014 explorer limited electrical system goes haywire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 explorer limited electrical system goes haywire

peckster

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Tried starting my car and car wouldn't start. The dashboard lights went crazy, flashing on and off and the gps screen went blank. Check brake system and no key detected flashed up on the dashboard. Got out of car and the dash and interior lights continued flashing on and off. Closed car door and headlights and taillights remained on (knob for lights was in the automatic position). I could hear a clicking sound from what seemed to
come from the under the hood, for about 45 minutes which I believe ultimately caused the battery to die.

Tried starting my car again and it still did not start. Brake pedal was locked as well so I was unable to press the brake pedal. I had the battery jumped and they tested it as well after running it for about minutes. Battery showed 100% charge but that the battery was bad.

Turned car off and happened to go back out to my car about 30 minutes later. Surprisingly, I noticed that both
the taillights and the brake light were on (even though car was turned off). The lights would not turn off until I
moved the knob for the lights from the automatic position to the off position. I have always kept the knob for the lights in the automatic position since getting the car in 2014 so this was odd that I had to turn it to the off position.

Took it to dealership and was told I just needed a new battery. Had them install new battery, drove away, went home and went back out to car about 1 hour later and the taillights and the brake light were back on again (car of course was off). Brought car back to dealership and they called to say they can't recreate the issue and haven't identified anything causing the issue.

any ideas from anyone who has experienced something similar? thanks!

The symptoms you describe are indicative of a low voltage battery, battery needs to be replaced, same things happen to me a year or so ago. After the battery was replaced (under warranty) everything returned to normal.

Good luck with that one.

Bill

Welcome to the 5th generation Forum peckster.:wave:
I agree with Bill's assessment. A bad or low battery can make the dash light up like a Christmas tree. Are you sure it is the taillights and not the brake lights that are on?
That could be caused by a sticking switch. I found the following thread using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/brake-lights-all-stuck-on.464072/
You say you have a 2014 Limited but your profile says 1998 Explorer XLT. If you still have it, please add the Limited to a signature. Thanks.

Peter

Back