2014 Explorer limited with new engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer limited with new engine

Rideaharley99

Reaction score
City, State
fleming island, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
I have a 2014 with 110k mikes and had a OEM engine installed by dealer in October. Everything has been fine but last week the engine light came on. Took it to same ford dealer that replaced engine, they read history report and shows misfires on two ignition coils, they said they were pulled from old engine and not covered by warranty cost is -850 to replace both and plugs

just checking on any advice or suggestions if this would be expected at these miles and is price high

shop did say they will have to pull manifold ask misfire is back behind

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just having 6 plugs replaced with new boots is $800 from the dealer - I just had this done. They have to remove an intake or such to get to one side of the plugs. That cost does not include any ignition coils.

If the coils are on the side with the intake then the price seems in line with what I paid for just 6 plugs replaced.

If you think you can do it yourself, do it. You'll spend a fraction of the cost. Or maybe a buddy can do it. It's easy, even taking the manifold off is. Youtube it

You only need to pull the top part of the intake manifold which is about 8 bolts (8mm IIRC). If you’re handy you can DIY it in about 1-1.5 hrs and save $$.

OEM Ford coils are $70 each on Rockauto (you may find them even cheaper elsewhere). I don’t recommend buying aftermarket coils, the quality is inferior on most of them.

Removal of the upper intake is pretty straightforward, should be a number of videos on YouTube. Replace it yourself and save a bunch of money.

If you have no tools and/or don't know what you are doing, you can also inquire with some local indy shops and see what they will charge. They should be considerably less than a dealership for both parts and labor. Be careful about blindly passing on aftermarket parts. If you can get an aftermarket part from the same OE supplier or another known/quality OE supplier, I wouldn't hesitate to use that part. I would, however, stay away from off brand aftermarket parts, typically of chinese/similar origin.

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but anytime you do substantial repairs to a vehicle, it is always worthwhile to consider changing out other parts at the same time, especially if it can be done at just the cost of parts or at least at a reduced labor charge. In your example, it would have been wise to have new plugs put in and probably 3 new coils on the rear since the old parts had 100K on them. Since the dealer was already pulling them from the old engine, it should have been parts cost only to replace them. Did the dealer even suggest that? If not, shame on them as it should have been a legitimate and super easy upsell opportunity for them.

Back