2014 Explorer Oil Leak

Kjhayes007

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello,

I need some feedback on a fluid leak I have noticed on our 2014 Ford Explorer (XLT AWD about 86K miles). I have heard much about PTUs leaking, and initially I suspected this was happening to our Explorer too.
I went under the vehicle today and saw oil pooling predominantly along the split line marked in yellow in the attached photo. There has been accumulation and drips coming off the circled bolt. The PTU itself doesn't seem like its leaking. Has anyone seen oil pooling in this area, and is this in fact a PTU leak?

I believe the first picture shows the bottom of the transmission, and the label has these characters on it: RFBT4P 7006 AA. Again, areas where oil seem to collect are marked in yellow in both pictures. Unfortunately I already wiped things down so I could try to determine the origin of the leak.

Thanks for any insight.

KJ

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Perhaps it's just me but I don't really see much evidence of "oil pooling" on those bolts. Were they cleaned?

Peter

Thanks peter. I should have been more clear, I did wipe things down before I decided to take pictures.

What color is the fluid on the ground? If its your PTU, it will have a very strong grease smell and will be black. If its oil, it will be more brown in color with less of an oder. If its your PTU, the smell of burnt grease is very definitive.

Seepage or leak? They are different
In the eyes of the manufacturer paying the warranty claim, maybe.

However, any fluid that escapes the confines of where it is supposed to be contained is a leak. How small or large the leak, can be debated, but it is a leak nonetheless.

As for the rest, take a sample of any fluid leaks on your finger and smear it between two fingers to feel the consistency and then smell it. You can then do the same with your oil and trans fluid via the dipstick/fill port and your coolant to see how it compares. That's a much easier way than trying to describe it to someone as fluids vary, but have different tells.

Back