2014 Explorer Rollover Accident | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Rollover Accident

jenlste

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
I had a brand new 2014 Explorer only 3 months when I was hit on the driver door side which caused me to leave the road hit a fence and land upside down. Side airbags in front and in 2nd row deployed. Lots of body damage to all doors and roof especially above the windshield. Does anyone have any experience in how costly all of this will be? I am hoping and praying they will total it. I can't imagine having this fixed and expecting to drive it after this. Just wanting feedback for anyone who has any expertise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be confident with air bags, multiple body panels, glass, rollover, its going to be a no brainer total. Sorry to hear this happened. Was everyone okay?

I think almost every rollover accident I've heard of turns out to be a total writeoff with the insurance company. Hopefully everyone came out alright, and your insurance company takes care of you.

Why are you worrying about your insurance co. Wouldn't the other guys insurance be handling it? If so I would demand a "NEW" vehicle!

Hope you all are ok. Should be totaled for sure but let us know what happens? Any pictures?

Several things stand out that scream "totaled".

1) ROLLOVER
2) Airbags deployed in multiple rows.

I think it's a no brainer. No reputable insurance company will want to take the risk that a vehicle is fixed properly with that much damage and to guarantee the repairs.

Lastly, in the event that the insurance company is INSANE and goes to fix it, there is a process for you to get a check from them (forgot the terminology) for the difference between what your vehicle was worth before the accident and what it is worth after. You can have a dealer give you an appraisal estimate before/after and submit to the insurance. The insurance is required to make you "whole". Making you "whole" is not fixing a vehicle that is worth $30k and now it is worth $15k because of the accident. They would then have to give you the difference in cash to make you whole.

But I don't think you will have to go that far.

Why are you worrying about your insurance co. Wouldn't the other guys insurance be handling it? If so I would demand a "NEW" vehicle!

Google 'No Fault Insurance States'. The OP may be in one.

True dat

Several things stand out that scream "totaled".
there is a process for you to get a check from them (forgot the terminology) for the difference between what your vehicle was worth before the accident and what it is worth after. .

It's called diminshed value!

It's called diminshed value!

Thank you. I remember someone on here going through that after their accident and I believe got a check for the difference.

Whenever the roof of a vehicle is compromised in a roll over accident it will be totaled. There really is no way to replace the roof to make it 100% safe again.

Having recently (this May) experienced an accident where my 08 Ex was t-boned at highway speed, they will most likely total yours. While mine looked bad, all the glass and the lights were intact, the entire front clip was mint except for minor bumper scuffing; the entire passenger side was undamaged and the doors worked. There was no apparent frame damage and it only had 36,000 miles on it. The estimate for repair was over $16K and they totaled it.

Advise for you and anyone who experiences this, do a Kelly Blue Book and NADA search to determine the value of your lost vehicle with all the equipment it has. My insurance co. had no idea what options were on the truck and there initial payout was $5k BELOW what they paid after making it clear they were either stupid or on drugs to think I would accept what they initially indicated they were going to pay.

Attachments

• 20140523_113215.jpg
    20140523_113215.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 554

I'm sorry to hear that happened! hopefully, all the occupants at the time are OK.
Has to be TOTALED for sure.

Whenever the roof of a vehicle is compromised in a roll over accident it will be totaled. There really is no way to replace the roof to make it 100% safe again.

You'd be surprised what can be done to some vehicles. My 2001 M3 had the roof panel replaced after severe hail damage, apparently they use an adhesive bonding method vs welding. But yeah, a roll-over accident ruins the structural integrity of the vehicle, I'd never trust it again that's for sure.

Hope everyone is okay, had the same type of accident in Jan.'13. The Ex (4,000 miles) wasn't totaled due to the ratio of value to damage,however we didn't want to drive a vehicle that sent my wife to the hospital. We collected the check for damages, dealer sold the Ex for us and collected on diminished value(what the vehicle is worth a minute before the accident and what someone is willing to pay you after it had $24,000 in repairs. Fortunately Missouri is a diminished value state.

All said we ordered a new Ex (broke even) and received settlement on pain and suffering.

I sure hope your state is a diminished value state, it was about an$8000 swing for us.

Good luck

Found out yesterday my vehicle was deemed a total loss with repair estimates of 30K. Just waiting to hear from total loss dept to hear what they plan on doing. Thanks for all the feedback it has been so helpful!

Back