2014 Explorer won't start- 3rd time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer won't start- 3rd time

tbrain

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
I have a 2014 Explorer Limited. Today is the third time in one month that u have had to have it towed to the dealership for no start. All three times, same thing... I will drive all day dropping kids off, going to work, going to ball practice, and then randomly we will be leaving somewhere and it won't start. It tries to turn over, but just does the prestarting noise, never quite catches. Towed the first time and they said I had low battery voltage and they just gave it back. Drive it for 10 days and it did it again. This time they said they got a code for fuel pump and replaced it. It did it again today, 3 weeks after the fuel pump replacement. I had stopped to get gas and when I went to start it, same non start. It gets almost there but doesn't catch. I sat for about an hour waiting for tow truck and tried it again just to see. It did catch this time but then immediately died. I had noticed last week that one day when I was trying to beat a bus out of the parking lot and stepped in the gas I had a complete loss of power. It did not stall, but it did not get up and go. My brother suggested it may be the timing??? I need help. It is at the dealer now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timing? that's why you don't take you vehicle to your brother in law for service.

when you say almost catches... are you saying it cranks just fine but does not start?

this is not a pattern failure I am familiar with, anyone else heard of this problem?

Yes, cranks just fine but will not turn over.

There have been a few posts where the trouble was traced to the throttle body and it was replaced or recalibrated. Your loss of power might be traced to that same issue.

Peter

Yes, cranks just fine but will not turn over.[/QUOTE

Cranks but does not turn over? if it cranks it is turning over. You have a crank, NO START, helps to be definitive as to the issue. Could very easily be a fuel pump relay or about 100 other things. It stored a code the last time, hopefully it did it again.

Keep your brother in-law away from the vehicle.

... I need help. It is at the dealer now.

Welcome to the forum, tbrain! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here; I'll be happy to do what I can to help. How many miles are on your Explorer? Have you heard anything from the dealership today?

Crystal

Just for the info it provides, next time it does this first, look to see if the CHECK ENGINE light stays on during cranking. (It should come on when you turn the key on, but go off soon after the engine starts cranking.) (FYI, It's the ORANGE icon.)

Next, if it doesn't start right away/like it should, stop cranking it and turn the key off and then try to start it again. Repeat as needed.

As a rule, if the CHECK ENGINE light stays on during cranking, the crank position sensor is the cause. If it starts after you attempt to crank a second or third time, the camshaft position sensor(s) are suspect...As a general rule.

Generally, the PCM is able to compensate for a number of erroneous sensor data and start anyway, however, both of the items listed above effect fuel/ignition so it ain't gonna go without both of those and at the exact right time...

The check engine light does not come on. All lights function completely normal. In fact everything functions completely normal, it just fails to start. The dealership called and said it was the fuel pump. I just got a new fuel pump on the 22 of September. All the symptoms were 100% the same this time as they were the previous 2 times. My explorer has 19,000 miles on it. Fuel pump has been replaced and it is running now. But, I fully expect it to non start in about 3 weeks. Can something be causing the fuel pumps to fail. This is now my third fuel pump. ( the original and two replacements).

Three fuel pumps in a cars lifetime is 2 too many. The fuel pump is clearly a result of the problem, not a cause. I know there was a fuel pump module issue on earlier years so I would suspect yours as well. I'd like to know the testing/diagnostic procedure they're using as I suspect something else. It could be something as simple as the fuel pump connector.

...Fuel pump has been replaced and it is running now...

I'm glad you're back up and running now, tbrain, but I know it's frustrating to have to return to your dealership multiple times. If anything happens in the future, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll get your regional customer service manager involved.

Crystal

The check engine light does not come on. All lights function completely normal. In fact everything functions completely normal, it just fails to start. The dealership called and said it was the fuel pump. I just got a new fuel pump on the 22 of September. All the symptoms were 100% the same this time as they were the previous 2 times. My explorer has 19,000 miles on it. Fuel pump has been replaced and it is running now. But, I fully expect it to non start in about 3 weeks. Can something be causing the fuel pumps to fail. This is now my third fuel pump. ( the original and two replacements).

How long have you had it? If they just keep throwing fuel pumps in it and not solving the actual problem you could consider Lemon law if your still in that time frame? Tossing Lemon law paper work on the passenger seat when you drop it off for service tends to get better results.

How long have you had it? If they just keep throwing fuel pumps in it and not solving the actual problem you could consider Lemon law if your still in that time frame? Tossing Lemon law paper work on the passenger seat when you drop it off for service tends to get better results.

It is a 2014 with 19,000 miles. I purshased it in July of 2013, so I have had it just over a year. I'm not sure if the Lemon Laws in my state. I feel like they are just throwing parts at it to get it by. They also never offer me a loaner, which is a big deal. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 4 months to 15 years. The dealership told me that Ford does not offer a loaner unless you purchase a package when you buy your car. I would think after having it towed 3 times, they would want to offer to help a little more.

A loaner under the circumstances would make sense. Keep in mind that a "new" part only means never ever used. I agree that having two fuel pumps fail is highly unlikely but replacing a fuel pump is a big job and costs lots of money. My guess is they did not "guess" at it as Ford as well as all car manufacturers require the dealer document why they did what they did to correct a warranty problem. My guess is they put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and discovered no or very low fuel pressure.

What did the service ticket say for diagnosis?

On Monday my 2011 would not start. It would just crank and never start.

Towed to the dealer and after waiting a couple of days to get to it they said it started in its own. No codes and ran fine.

They wanted to keep it one more night so I am waiting to hear back from them again

RSNovi, did the dealer fix your problem? I'm having the same issue with my 2011. I had it at the dealer 2 weeks ago and they couldn't replicate the no start. No codes, it worked great. A tech even took it home one night and didn't have any problems. The car wouldn't start yesterday and now will need to have it towed to Dean Sellers to have them try to diagnose it and fix it.

RSNovi, did the dealer fix your problem? I'm having the same issue with my 2011. I had it at the dealer 2 weeks ago and they couldn't replicate the no start. No codes, it worked great. A tech even took it home one night and didn't have any problems. The car wouldn't start yesterday and now will need to have it towed to Dean Sellers to have them try to diagnose it and fix it.
The dealer never found an issue. Thankfully it has never happened again. Knock on wood!

Did this ever get resolved? My 2014 Limited has done this to me three times now too ... not starting! Then hours later, it may start. I've had it in the dealer and had the fuel pump driver module replaced .... they also said it 'could' be the fuel pump. But my issues have been over several months. I doubt a fuel pump would be intermittent? All the service notifications flash, brake light and check engine lights stay lit. Nothing else happens. Super annoyed.

I'm having the same issue with my 2014 Limited. It's done this No Start to me three times now in less than a year. Three tows. One replaced fuel driver pump module. Still issues.

Did this ever get resolved? My 2014 Limited has done this to me three times now too ... not starting! Then hours later, it may start. I've had it in the dealer and had the fuel pump driver module replaced .... they also said it 'could' be the fuel pump. But my issues have been over several months. I doubt a fuel pump would be intermittent? All the service notifications flash, brake light and check engine lights stay lit. Nothing else happens. Super annoyed.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that yours like the others just cranks and doesn't fire up? Sounds like a possible lack of fuel. Have they checked for any stored codes?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that yours like the others just cranks and doesn't fire up? Sounds like a possible lack of fuel. Have they checked for any stored codes?

Peter
It’s a push button. I don’t hear any cranking. No clicking or turning over like with key starts. Dealer telling me it’s a fuel pump. But they’ve never seen the issue happen. It’s always running and starting by the time it gets towed to the dealer.

Back