2014 Explorer won't start- 3rd time | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer won't start- 3rd time

It’s a push button. I don’t hear any cranking. No clicking or turning over like with key starts. Dealer telling me it’s a fuel pump. But they’ve never seen the issue happen. It’s always running and starting by the time it gets towed to the dealer.
I would guess that the push button would be the same as far as starting goes as a keyed ignition. The engine still has to crank/turnover in order for it to start. Have you checked the battery connections? Several members have reported corrosion on the Positive terminal that is so bad they had to replace the cable clamp. Make sure it is clean and tight.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s a push button. I don’t hear any cranking. No clicking or turning over like with key starts. Dealer telling me it’s a fuel pump. But they’ve never seen the issue happen. It’s always running and starting by the time it gets towed to the dealer.

I vote bad battery or connection as well. If it was a bad fuel pump, it would crank but not start.

UPDATE - FIXED my 2011 with crank no start. After 3 trips to Ford dealerships, 1 week each trip, I finally found the root cause myself. The Sunday after I got the car back from the dealer, after they quoted me $1500 to tear apart the interior to look for an electrical issue, it wouldn’t start in my garage. I have a BlueDriver and had the live feature on. When it was cranking, there were 0 RPM. I jacked up the car and found the crank position sensor wire. I removed the heat shield between it and the converter and wiggled it around a little. Got out from under it and had my son crank it. It fired right up! I unwrapped the tape around the wires and found bare wire. I took the car back to the dealer who put a new engine in last year (water pump failed at 109k) who did a hack job on the CPS harness. They replaced the wire harness for free and it’s been starting up the first time, every time all week!

Did anyone ever figure this problem out? My 2014 Explorer sport has the same intermittent issue with not starting up. If it’s does start it’s like it’s not getting enough fuel to stay running. Sometimes I’m stranded for an hr before it will finally start like there was never a problem. Getting the low fuel rail code as well. When we sprayed ether in the breather the last time it happened it finally cranked after an hr of sitting. This has been going on for months now and is getting worse.

Did anyone ever figure this problem out? My 2014 Explorer sport has the same intermittent issue with not starting up. If it’s does start it’s like it’s not getting enough fuel to stay running. Sometimes I’m stranded for an hr before it will finally start like there was never a problem. Getting the low fuel rail code as well. When we sprayed ether in the breather the last time it happened it finally cranked after an hr of sitting. This has been going on for months now and is getting worse.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If there is no solution posted in this thread, perhaps a dealer visit is in order. It would seem that the issue appears to be low fuel pressure.

Peter

Back