2014 Explorer XLT Squealing Noise

antzman1

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
All,

First off, thanks for having such a great forum. There is a ton of great information here.

The issue I'm having is a horrible squealing noise that has been coming from what I believe are the brakes. I've got a 2014 XLT 4x4 with ~22000 miles on it. I bought it used/certified around 5 months ago. A few months into ownership, I started to notice a loud squealing noise coming from the rear when I applied brakes. It would start out quietly, and then gradually get louder as I got further into the drive. There would even be times when I would be driving without accelerating and the noise would start, though nowhere near as loud as it would be if I applied the brakes.

I took it back to my dealer to get looked at. So far they have replaced the rotors and the brake pads. The noise would go away for a day or so, and then would come back. They have not been able to successfully diagnose the issue, and have even submitted it to Ford engineering, who claim they've not seen a problem like this before. The vehicle brakes just fine, but the noise is extremely annoying.

So, any ideas what might be going on?

Seems you're experiencing the "dragging" of the rear brakes, which is a reported issue with the Explorers; in which your caliper is seized.
Did the mechanics inspect the calipers?

Back