2014 Ford Explorer Sport bucks on hard acceleration sn | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Explorer Sport bucks on hard acceleration sn

Kurtis Baumgartner

Reaction score
City, State
Westfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
Indiana
I own a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport, and a little over a month ago on a hard acceleration the vehicle bucked violently. I've never had any previous issues with the vehicle, but I was able to duplicate the problem any time I would hard accel. Since the vehicle is Certified I took it to the local dealer who ran some initial tests on it. Called me back the same day and said it needed a new cam phaser, part was on back order, it'd be a few weeks before it would be in, put me in a rental vehicle. A few weeks pass, I get a call that my Explorer is ready for pick up, elated I drive to dealership, crank up the AC and start my journey back to work. I hard accel to make sure my problem is fixed, to my demise, it's not. I turn around, head back to dealership, and make shop foreman go for a test drive. He assures me that the bucking is not normal, they will fix the problem. Sweet! I'm disappointed, but they put me back in my rental, and I head back to work. I get a call the next day, they think it's a solenoid. When that doesn't fix the problem, they change out the control board (that might not be what it was called - basically the computer). That doesn't fix the problem so the have a Ford Engineer come in and look at it, now they are doing something else - can't remember what he told me - I'll update tomorrow.

I haven't given up hope that the Ford dealership can fix this, but I'm curious if anyone out there has had a similar issue, or can help hone these guys in on what might be happening with my vehicle - they've had it for a month?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are some threads referring to 'hesitation and stumble' but they are a little different than yours in that the issue occurs under light acceleration as well. One does involve a 2014 Sport.
Please complete your profile by adding the year, model and trim (2014 Sport or 2014 Explorer Sport) so it shows in the margin. I don't think "Indiana" quit addresses that requirement. Thanks.;)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are some threads referring to 'hesitation and stumble' but they are a little different than yours in that the issue occurs under light acceleration as well. One does involve a 2014 Sport.
Please complete your profile by adding the year, model and trim (2014 Sport or 2014 Explorer Sport) so it shows in the margin. I don't think "Indiana" quit addresses that requirement. Thanks.;)

Peter

Yes I read through all of those, I think my issue is different. Car drives perfectly fine at all times except on a hard acceleration. It will buck and you have to back off of it to gain any speed.

might be spark plugs? Just a shot in the dark, but I know some tuned guys were getting spark blow out during hard acceleration. Maybe since yours is a 2014 it just needs a fresh set of plugs.

Back