2014 Ford Explorer Sport won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Explorer Sport won't start

Griff76

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
so yesterday I was adding a dash cam through add a fuse in the inside fuse panel. I never got it to work and just put everything back the way it was. After I did that I started the car and drove it. Then turned it off.

This morning I tried to start the car and the first time it kind of sputtered but didn't turn over. At this point the brake pedal is stuck in the engaged position and when i press the start button I just hear some clicking noises from the electronics (not clicking you would get with a keyed vehicle and trying to start) and the vehicle doesnt start.

I rechecked the fuses and all looks good. But it kind of sounds like the fuel isn't going to the engine. But I don't see anything in the inside fuse box that would be fuel pump related. Any ideas?

I only post this cuz it's Sunday. If I can't figure it out it will be towed to the dealer tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say test your fuses in the engine compartment. Fuse 18, for example, is the push button start. Is it possible you triggered some sort of short? Btw, the interior fuse box is horribly inaccessible, right?

Yes my back is kinda bruised from getting at it yesterday.

The only reason I doubt it's the fuse is that when I press the button everything turns on like it wants to start. It's just not actually starting the motor. Like the starter motor doesn't crank either.

Electical can be finicky. To be clear, I meant check your fuses in your engine compartment, not your interior -- seems the bigger fuses are there, some of which are responsible for starting the car. In any case, at least those ones are easy to access and easy to test.

Are you sure it isn't the battery causing the problem? Have you tried getting it boosted.? Have you tried pulling the brake pedal back up manually?

Peter

Yes I tried a jump start too. That was my first thing.

Yes I tried a jump start too. That was my first thing.
It is difficult to say that this issue is connected to the work you attempted yesterday since you were able to start it and drive off. Are your headlights nice and bright? I can't help but think it is somehow battery related, but I have been wrong before. I think the most common issues with a vehicle that won't start are either battery or fuel related.

Ok. So I disconnected the battery and waited a few minutes. Hooked it back up and now pretty much nothing works. Door locks, not even manually. Sync screen doesn't come on. Etc. so it's really a mess. This is going to take a dealer i think

Ok. Well apparently something was wrong with my jumper cables or vehicle i tried to use jumping. When the tow truck guy showed up I asked him to try his battery pack and tada. Car started. So the battery discharged for some reason. I'm sure it was me playing with the dash cam yesterday.

Well that's good, and cheap to fix :) Is it possible your battery is at the end of it's life? If so, best to replace it before it takes the alternator with it. Bad battery will over-stress the alternator.

Ok. Well apparently something was wrong with my jumper cables or vehicle i tried to use jumping. When the tow truck guy showed up I asked him to try his battery pack and tada. Car started. So the battery discharged for some reason. I'm sure it was me playing with the dash cam yesterday.
Glad to hear you got it going but some what concerned as to why the battery discharged after you were initially able to start and drive it. Hope you don't have the same issue tomorrow.

Peter

Well in my testing of trying to install the dash cam I may have started the car a bunch of times and not let it run long enough to charge the battery.

The wire may be shorting out or the battery may be dead.

Well in my testing of trying to install the dash cam I may have started the car a bunch of times and not let it run long enough to charge the battery.
Yep, I bet your battery is near the end of it's life. My wife's car had a similar problem when I installed her dashcam. Kept powering down due to voltage limit (our dashcams have constant power). It's a 2014, it's probably time (4 years old).

Back