• Register Today It's free!

2014 ford explorer won't start,

hd94

Reaction score
City, State
dallas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
All right this problem started about 3 weeks ago. My battery was starting to go out, so i went ahead and removed the battery early in the morning around 6:30 (so i could leave it at the auto parts store core charge). Went after work around 7:30 to buy the new battery, Brought it home and plugged it in. and had no start. Since it was late in the day i decided to try to start it the next day, so the next morning i went to start it and nothing no crank nothing, radio navigation and dash pretty much everything else powered on except the car itself. I then notice that it got a warning light saying "Transmission not in park" And said it was on "M" when shifter is in park. So i did some research and saw a few posts saying to jumpstart the car. So i did I jumped started it and it turned on right away. Only thing was it then made what sounded to me like a hard shift. not sure what it was. But i thought it was nothing. so i left it with the cables and the car on for about 10 min. So after 10 min i try to move it and nothing it gave me the "transmission not in park " again, so i jiggled the shifter button and it finally moved into "Reverse" but when it went into reverse it shifted real hard so i put it back into park and left it running for another 5 min and turned it off. I tried to turn it back on and nothing No crank nothing just the "Transmission not in park" Warning. So i decided to leave it alone for a week and half. So now i go to try to turn on and nothing but i put the key into power and the shifter shifts now which it didn't before. Except now i get a "Check battery Charging System" warning. and "Service Stabiltrak". along with 'Transmission not in Park"
Anyone know what might be causing this annoying problem? Car is out of warranty has 73k miles. Could it be something simple? like a switch or a Fuse? or the actual shifter? or shifter cable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worth a shot but can you do the reset? Here is the manual:

Battery Replacement

If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the BMS Reset using a diagnostic scan tool. If the BMS Reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions. For more information,
Refer to: Battery and Cables - System Operation and Component Description (414-01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, Description and Operation).

I see that you have already posted in the 'Shift to Park Warning' thread previously. The first thing I'd recommend is to have that issue taken care of along with BMS reset which was also mentioned before, if not already done. Several members have been able to replace the shifter themselves.

Peter

No update, Reset the BMS and got a crank but went back to doing the same thing. Still no start or crank, Did get a new alert now it has
"Check Battery charging system" along with the
"Transmission not in park"

No update, Reset the BMS and got a crank but went back to doing the same thing. Still no start or crank, Did get a new alert now it has
"Check Battery charging system" along with the
"Transmission not in park"
It definitely won't start if it thinks that the transmission is not in Park. So that is an issue that should be addressed. Also if it is not in Park, it's possible some systems may remain active causing a drain on the battery. Not sure about that, but it may be possible.

Peter

Back