2014 Limited Arrival - an interesting story! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Limited Arrival - an interesting story!

OKC_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Yukon, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited 4WD
FINALLY!!!
After SIX MONTHS our EX Limited arrived at the dealer. This car was originally ordered back in June. Blend date of 10 Aug, and delivered to OKC via rail in late August.

Here's where things get interesting. Ford held back 20 cars at the rail yard for quality checks. I'm told this is routine. 19 of the 20 got released to their respective dealers and - you guessed it - mine was the one that got held back. Despite numerous attempts from my dealer to find out what the issue was with this car, Ford would not divulge any information. The dealer service manager and other techs suggested the problem was the fuel delivery module (well documented on the forum). Bottom line is we just don't know.

So now the car is here and it appears to be flawless. I spent the entire day going over it, did 3 test drives, and could not find a fault. Every detail of this particular EX appears to be in fine shape.

Many thanks to those here on the forum who took the time to relate their issues - the good and the bad.

Going forward, I'll report how things go with this new SUV. My fingers are certainly crossed, considering that my wife and I chose the Ford over many competing luxury brands. Stand by for more... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SIX MONTHS???!!!!!! You are a very patient person!!!

I second that.....I couldn't wait that long, I would have moved to another order.

The configuration we wanted wasn't available anywhere. Our dealer did a nation wide search and I spent weeks upon weeks searching for a lightly used EX equipped precisely as we desired. It could not be found - so we placed an order to have it built for us.

Here are the specifics:

K8F Limited 4WD Body Style
UG White Platinum TriCoat
CQ Pecan Trim Interior

Order Code: 302A

Additions:

173 2nd Row Bucket Seats
51D 2nd Row Console
439 Moonroof
51C Adaptive Cruise / Collision Warn
52T Trailer Tow
44C 6 Speed Select Shift Trans.
642 20" Polished Alum Wheels

I did find a few cars with everything *except* the second row console. And I'm amazed about that - at a whopping $100 bucks its a great piece to have back there.

I think what people are saying is that if it was on QC hold that long, they and I would have had the dealer order another one and it would have beat the original one for delivery. People had this issue when the 2011s started. People were waiting a long time because of QC holds with no answers from Ford and new ones were ordered and were delivered before the 1st order.

Yes, and in fact the dealer did order another car built. That car is currently in transit and should arrive shortly. So the first car still got here before the second one did.

I could have waited to take a look at the second one, but could not find a fault with the first. One thing I was checking for was the catalytic converter smell entering the cabin. This car would not exhibit the problem no matter what I did to try and induce the "smell" in the cabin. And - it was flawless in every other regard so I signed a lease deal yesterday.

Edit: the REAL problem was during the 6 month wait, I seemed to be at the dealer every couple weeks. And - wouldn't you know it - I fell hard for the new F150. Traded in my 99 F150 and bought a brand new Platinum EcoBoost just a couple weeks ago. These guys really love me now!!! :D

Back