• Register Today It's free!

2014 Oil Leak REALLY!

heimns01

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone I am looking for some input on what I should do about my wifes 2014 Explorer XLT with only 5k miles is leaking oil.

First, I took it in for its first oil change with no signs of burning oil smell or leaking anything in my garage and to my surprise the dealer I bought the car from calls me and tells me I have an oil leak from my timing chain cover. They ended up have the car for 5 days because the part was on back order which was fine but a pain for sure. So we end up picking the car up after hours since my wife and I both work full time and once we arrive at home she parks it and the car smells of burning oil. I figured it was just burning off whatever didn't get cleaned up. So next day I look under the car and there is oil on the ground. I gave it a couple days but continued to leak and smell terrible.

Second, we scheduled another drop off to have it looked at and asked if there was anyway we could get a loaner car. The dealer of course tried to give us the run around offered us a Ford Fiesta (REALLY!!!). Keep in mind my wife is 6 month pregnant and has 2-3 children in car seats in her car at all times. After additional phone calls and a very upset wife they gave in and got her a small suv to carry all the kids. So the next day we get a call saying the car is ready and it's fixed for good..... NOT got it home same thing burning smell and still leaking.

Third, dropped the car back off the following day did the rental car thing all over again. They had the car for a couple days said the valve cover was sliding off during install so they used a different sealer and they had taken it on 4 test drives and no oil issues. So we pick up the car and asked for paperwork for all the times it was in and they said it was considered only one issue and only one report (BS). Get the car home everything seems fine drove it for a couple days and it started smelling like burnt oil again.

Now I am scheduling my fourth attempt to get this issue resolved beyond frustrated. I looked around the valve cover couldn't see anything and its not a severe leak because its not dripping on the ground yet but still smells at stops from burning oil. This has been over a 3 week period of time and I am running out of patience does anyone have any advise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum heimns01.:wavey:
Since you did not have any smell prior to the dealer doing the work, I'm guessing your problem doesn't fall within the thread on Bad or Burnt Smell During Hard Acceleration. It is possible that the smell is coming from oil spilled on engine parts and need time to burn off. As for a loaner, the Warranty Guide specifically states that Ford is not responsible for providing a loaner or rental. If the dealer has provided one, then it is at their expense. At least you received one. Many others were not that fortunate. If you still have problems after this repair, I would suggest that you send a PM (private message) to Crystal (FordService) who is the Ford service rep that monitors this forum. You can use the following link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

HMMMM! Let's review the facts, here:

1. Problem was non-existent until after an oil change. (Which, by the way, is a very basic, routine maintenance item that requires very little skill to be sure.)

And before all you haters go flaming viral, that statement, while not intended to offend, insult or hurt anyone's feelings, is the simple truth. Further, it does NOT, in any way indicate that anyone who openly admits to paying for, or relying on another to perform this service is of limited skill, ability or intelligence. We are talking about someone who is paid to perform this action.

2. Burnt/burning oil smell of the type described is due to oil getting onto the hot exhaust. That is the only place that gets hot enough to vaporize the oil to create the smell. This means the oil is leaking from a place it can find it's way to the exhaust system parts at or near the engine. I say this because if the oil was burning off the exhaust further back, the smell would not enter the cabin (unless the floor is open).

3. The timing cover suddenly leaking just after or during an oil change is about as absurd as it sounds. Neither the drain plug nor the oil filter are near or on the timing cover. Additionally, and most critical here is, the timing cover uses RTV sealant, not a specific gasket, so the ONLY part they had to order and wait for would be a new cover. So the question is, how did the original cover suddenly leak enough for the dealer to voluntarily choose to replace it, yet never leaked a drop prior to this oil change??? BTW, there can be a porosity issue with aluminum castings, but they're very rare and generally don't make it past the part inspection process. While I absolutely hate to bash anyone, the logical explanation here is that someone who didn't know what they were doing under the car caused the leak.

4. The leak now moving to a valve cover is even more absurd than the timing cover story. Whether you 'found' a previously non-existent oil leak or the vehicle came in with an oil leak complaint, the last thing that should happen, is for it to go back out the door with an oil leak!!

Regardless of whether it's fixed or not, I wouldn't so much as drive past that particular dealership ever again!! Someone isn't being completely forthright with you.

I can see confusion on the leak source if the timing cover is leaking near the cam covers. They probably are also replacing the valve cover gasket which is what is likely on order.

If this happens to be a Certified Pre-Owned then you should have some rental car coverage (up to 5 days I believe). Other than that its on the dealer.

There is something definitely fishy going on here. It really sounds like they did something to your Explorer but I honestly can't imagine how they would mess it up that bad doing a simple oil change. If the car still has pooling oil after sitting can you get under the car at all? I'm curious if the person doing the oil change accidentally didn't check if the o-ring was still attached and put the new filter on over the top of it. That can cause all sorts of leaking. Also, it might not be a bad idea to go to a carwash that have the wand stalls and spray down the engine bay (avoid electrical connections) and see if you just have oil left over from the original issue.

...Now I am scheduling my fourth attempt to get this issue resolved beyond frustrated...

Welcome to the forum, heimns01. I want to step in here and help. As Peter suggested, send me your information in a PM and I'll get to work on some options to assist. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Reading 'between the lines', and seeing what the top of the engine looks like, here's a likely scenario:
1. The "rocket scientist" doing quick-lube duty at the dealership does something stupid - like spilling a fair bit of oil. Possibly soaks the 'noise abatement' cover on the engine - possibly buggers up the filler neck.
2. Cleans up some of it - but doesn't fess up to his / her mistake. Claims a leak.
3. The same - or different tech is sloppy and agrees to the leak diagnosis.
4. Frustrating tragedy ensues due to the original mess telegraphing to manifold and catalyst, and likely sloppy 'repair' undertaken.

Now, can any of this be proven? Unless you stashed a camera under the hood, likely not. Feel fortunate the tech didn't 'forget' to tighten the oil plug or leave the old filter gasket on the housing, causing 'car flambe'. ;)

Hey everyone I just wanted to give an update on my 2014 Explorer XLT oil leak. Just dropped it off this past Sunday night and received a call late Monday that they cleaned all the residual oil off the car from their previous jobs. They added die to the oil to look for leaks and ran the car on a lift for 10 mins or so looks and drove it about 40 miles. They kept the car another day just to make sure everything was okay and and drove it for about another 40 miles, which I approved them to do to ensure they had every opportunity to catch any issues. Got another call Tuesday while I was out of town and they confirmed it was just the residual oil that was still burning off a couple weeks after the last service.
Now I know some of you had commented on the issue of spilling oil but that seems like a lot of spillage if you ask me... Which leads me to my next question why didn't they clean that off when they did the work previously and was that the real issue after they replaced the gaskets at my first oil change?? Could these additional trips been prevented if they would of just cleaned up the mess?? I know this doesn't really matter now because they claim to have everything cleaned and fixed. I picked the car up tonight when I got back in town and I really hope they are right about it being fixed because I feel like after the 4th attempt at fixing it and cleaning it was the resolution I am done messing with them if it comes up leaking again.
One last thing that I am going to sort out with the deal tomorrow morning is why they would leave my car with only 10 miles to complete empty when it is 20 degrees outside. By the time we got to the gas station there was only 5 miles left. We dropped the car off with about 1/4 tank so I would think they had to add some gas at sometime but I guess we will find out tomorrow what really happened. On a positive note though they did wash the outside for us.

Hey everyone I just wanted to give an update on my 2014 Explorer XLT oil leak. Just dropped it off this past Sunday night and received a call late Monday that they cleaned all the residual oil off the car from their previous jobs. They added die to the oil to look for leaks and ran the car on a lift for 10 mins or so looks and drove it about 40 miles. They kept the car another day just to make sure everything was okay and and drove it for about another 40 miles, which I approved them to do to ensure they had every opportunity to catch any issues. Got another call Tuesday while I was out of town and they confirmed it was just the residual oil that was still burning off a couple weeks after the last service...

Thanks for the update, heimns01; I'm glad to hear that this has been resolved. You know where to find me if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Crystal

Hey everyone I just wanted to give an update on my 2014 Explorer XLT oil leak. Just dropped it off this past Sunday night and received a call late Monday that they cleaned all the residual oil off the car from their previous jobs. They added die to the oil to look for leaks and ran the car on a lift for 10 mins or so looks and drove it about 40 miles. They kept the car another day just to make sure everything was okay and and drove it for about another 40 miles, which I approved them to do to ensure they had every opportunity to catch any issues. Got another call Tuesday while I was out of town and they confirmed it was just the residual oil that was still burning off a couple weeks after the last service.
Now I know some of you had commented on the issue of spilling oil but that seems like a lot of spillage if you ask me... Which leads me to my next question why didn't they clean that off when they did the work previously and was that the real issue after they replaced the gaskets at my first oil change?? Could these additional trips been prevented if they would of just cleaned up the mess?? I know this doesn't really matter now because they claim to have everything cleaned and fixed. I picked the car up tonight when I got back in town and I really hope they are right about it being fixed because I feel like after the 4th attempt at fixing it and cleaning it was the resolution I am done messing with them if it comes up leaking again.
One last thing that I am going to sort out with the deal tomorrow morning is why they would leave my car with only 10 miles to complete empty when it is 20 degrees outside. By the time we got to the gas station there was only 5 miles left. We dropped the car off with about 1/4 tank so I would think they had to add some gas at sometime but I guess we will find out tomorrow what really happened. On a positive note though they did wash the outside for us.

Why they wouldn't have cleaned the residual oil is beyond me. I would have done that right off the bat to make sure the new gaskets weren't leaking. Those trips may have been prevented by just cleaning up their mess. I've replaced valve cover gaskets and what not in the past on all sorts of cars and the first thing I do is to make sure the engine is clean when I'm done to A.) Not get any burning oil smells B.) Make sure I actually fixed the car.

The gas issue is another story. Most shops assume you'll have enough gas for them to perform their diagnostics. If you don't they may put gas in it for you and charge you for it or ask you to put gas in BEFORE they start. If they add gas it will be just enough to do their job. Its not really their responsibility. If they left you with enough gas to get to a station I would say that's adequate but a warning would have been nice. If you ran out on the way to the gas station or if they left it empty that would be another story. The temperature really doesn't matter from a vehicle standpoint as gas freezes at a very low temp, but if your referring to being stranded without gas at 20 degrees I see your point. I would be glad everything's taken care of and move on :)

Thanks for the update, heimns01; I'm glad to hear that this has been resolved. You know where to find me if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Crystal

I have an oil leak problem too, but mine may have been diagnosed by the dealer more specifically, although far from satisfactorily. After noticing oil seeping from the oil filter mounting location and running down the side of the filter, I completed a "The Works" package and advised of the leak. Got the car back and checked for leaks. None. Good.

Drove for a week, noticed oil drips on the driveway and looked underneath to determine why.. Same oil leak!

Back to dealer, explained the situation and then waited for work at the dealer's wait area. Was called over by a mechanic, shown the filter and the cleaned up area while it was still on the lift and idling.. THEN, the mechanic identifies a spot on the "oil pump housing" area that had an apparent seal leak that was finding its way down to the pump.

Fast forward 1 1/2 months THREE attempts by the dealer to rectify the leak and I'm still waiting for the appropriate resolution. The last update was that I would be forced to wait 2-3 MORE weeks while parts came in to replace parts of the engine that were contributing to the excessive oil pressure build-up that were producing leaking seals.

LEMON LAW application time. I don't want sloppy dealer mechanics replacing only parts of an otherwise well-maintained vehicle/engine.

..Crystal, I have to PM you for assistance. Thanks in advance..

I bet the oil leak was from a sloppy oil change. They either botched the drain plug crush washer or installed the oil filter wrong (maybe didn't remove the prior gasket).

Update... I don't think the oil leak is gone. Drove the car a few days last week and over the weekend and noticed the burning oil smell while driving in town and coming to complete stops. I ran into the store once while by wife waited in the car with the kids while it was running and came out and before I even got next to the car I could smell the burning oil.
Now the problem... It doesn't do it every time we stop and it doesn't do it on long drives while you are constantly moving. So I don't know if the leak is so minor its hard to spot or if its still "residual oil" still. I looked under the car and down the sides of the engine and I couldn't see anything really leaking but again I am not a mechanic. It was pretty wet this past week so maybe it was washed away before I could check... I guess I will continue to drive it this week and see if the problem continues but does anyone have any advise? Its been over a month since we started messing with this and I am really getting sick of it, so if it turns out it's still leaking I might have to seek legal advise... Does anyone have experience with anything like this?

...It was pretty wet this past week so maybe it was washed away before I could check... I guess I will continue to drive it this week and see if the problem continues but does anyone have any advise?...

How frustrating, heimns01; I know you've been dealing with this for a while now. Let me get in touch with your CSM and notify them that you're still experiencing the burning oil smell; send me a PM with a verification of your best daytime phone number and I'll do the rest. Keep in mind that if you retain the services of an attorney, I won't be able to assist any longer.

Crystal

I took this picture of my timing chain cover back in the fall when I was putting on the snow tires. Is this what your timing chain leak looked like? In searching around I ended up on a 5th gen oil change DIY and I noticed that the bottom of that guy's timing chain cover looked like it had oil spray on it as well.

45392_ED6_F6_F6_4_A20_B157_014_BA36_F76_A8_Small.jpg

OMG, this post has me concerned.
I have a 2014 XLT 4WD, 10K miles and last week the "check engine oil soon" indicator came on,
when i drive it and pull into the driveway i can smell oil....ugh...called the dealer this morning who showed concer, ok may be a drop of concern, since my car is not due for an oil change......any advice..... takint to dealer on Monday.

I assume you checked the oil dipstick? What does your Oil Life Monitor show?

Peter

Car going to dealer today. will let you know outcome!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check to see what the OLM showed?

Peter

Back