• Register Today It's free!

2014 PIU need a little help

16vcabman

Reaction score
City, State
Ortonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU
Hello, I have been reading many items on this forum looking for someone in Southeast Michigan area that has forscan. Need remote keyfobs done? Also ran into right passenger window that doesn't work from master or right front door. Another topic is mine came with all the vinyl wrap and police on it got all that off and cleaned but having no fun with roof vinyl. Can't get it to move or start peeling any help and good articles on here. Could use how to locked at beginning so they are easier to find. 2014 piu 3.7 77,000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Follow the procedure for adding a key remote in the manual. It's something like turn the ignition off and on like 7 times and the door locks will cycle. If it does this than you don't need Forscan to turn this on. Odds are if you want remote start than you would need Forscan to turn this on so if your going to go that route than order the right key. RMST is built into the BCM and only need to be turned on and a hood switch added.

Hello, I have been reading many items on this forum looking for someone in Southeast Michigan area that has forscan. Need remote keyfobs done? Also ran into right passenger window that doesn't work from master or right front door. Another topic is mine came with all the vinyl wrap and police on it got all that off and cleaned but having no fun with roof vinyl. Can't get it to move or start peeling any help and good articles on here. Could use how to locked at beginning so they are easier to find. 2014 piu 3.7 77,000 miles
Chances are that if the front passenger side window won't activate from either its own or main switch then the motor is likely the culprit. I don't know if the PIU fuse layout is the same as the one for the retail Explorer or not. You can check that out, but if it is the same, then I doubt it's a fuse issue.

Peter

Chances are that if the front passenger side window won't activate from either its own or main switch then the motor is likely the culprit. I don't know if the PIU fuse layout is the same as the one for the retail Explorer or not. You can check that out, but if it is the same, then I doubt it's a fuse issue.

Peter
Hi Peter, thanks for your info. It makes sense because many parts have been swapped out on this vehicle. The twp. garage used this car for anything good. Headlight bulb was even taken out. Door was swapped because of damage to the door
Nothing would surprise me at this point. I will get the meter out and see if window motor is getting power with the switch activated. Thanks sometimes just another mind is all it takes. Thanks again.

Hi Peter, thanks for your info. It makes sense because many parts have been swapped out on this vehicle. The twp. garage used this car for anything good. Headlight bulb was even taken out. Door was swapped because of damage to the door
Nothing would surprise me at this point. I will get the meter out and see if window motor is getting power with the switch activated. Thanks sometimes just another mind is all it takes. Thanks again.

The power wire in the police doors is one pin off in the door jam from the Civilian doors. I ran into this when I was rewiring them for auto up and down and realized they did not match up. More than likely that wire just needs to be repined on plug #C3139. The power wire on Pin #30 needs to be moved to pin #29.

This should not cause a problem but is good to know, Both doors are powered by the same fuse in the BCM on the Police doors. So if the fuse goes out than both doors will not work. The civilian ones are both powered separately by different fuses in the BCM.

I am 100% sure all you will need to do is swap the wire in the door jam plug and you will be fine. About the only way to do this is take the door off. Make sure you have an extra body there as they are kinda heavy.

The power wire in the police doors is one pin off in the door jam from the Civilian doors. I ran into this when I was rewiring them for auto up and down and realized they did not match up. More than likely that wire just needs to be repined on plug #C3139. The power wire on Pin #30 needs to be moved to pin #29.

This should not cause a problem but is good to know, Both doors are powered by the same fuse in the BCM on the Police doors. So if the fuse goes out than both doors will not work. The civilian ones are both powered separately by different fuses in the BCM.

I am 100% sure all you will need to do is swap the wire in the door jam plug and you will be fine. About the only way to do this is take the door off. Make sure you have an extra body there as they are kinda heavy.
But this a police car and so is the door? I think it's the window motor but I am swapping seats and console today. Tomorrow I will look at it.

But this a police car and so is the door? I think it's the window motor but I am swapping seats and console today. Tomorrow I will look at it.

Oh sorry, I knew it was the PIU but I thought I read the door was swapped with a Civilian door. Now that I reread it you did not specify.

I'm assuming that your markings are merely self-adhesive vinyl? If you haven't tried it already, I've always used a common hair dryer (on high heat) to remove vinyl markings that I've come across. I use a hair dryer, rather than a commercially-available heat gun, as a heat gun can be so much hotter that it can also damage the underlying paint surface, which would not be good. The hair dryer at least gives you a little leeway in avoiding heat damage to the paint. I've also found that the older the decal, the harder it sticks to the surface, and the harder it is to remove.

As rooftop decals age, they especially get harder faster, and therefore stick firmer, to the rooftop (as compared to the sides), likely only because of their more direct exposure to the sun.

I'm curious, if you didn't use any kind of heat on the side markings, what did you use to successfully remove those ones?

I'm assuming that your markings are merely self-adhesive vinyl? If you haven't tried it already, I've always used a common hair dryer (on high heat) to remove vinyl markings that I've come across. I use a hair dryer, rather than a commercially-available heat gun, as a heat gun can be so much hotter that it can also damage the underlying paint surface, which would not be good. The hair dryer at least gives you a little leeway in avoiding heat damage to the paint. I've also found that the older the decal, the harder it sticks to the surface, and the harder it is to remove.

As rooftop decals age, they especially get harder faster, and therefore stick firmer, to the rooftop (as compared to the sides), likely only because of their more direct exposure to the sun.

I'm curious, if you didn't use any kind of heat on the side markings, what did you use to successfully remove those ones?
I just worked them off didn't need heat but the roof one is so baked, it just chips I can't get it to come up at all

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured was happening! That makes it tough. Perhaps a call to one of the many upfitters out there, who might have experience with this issue, and hopefully may have some advice on how to tackle it?

I'm sorry, but I don't have a quick answer for you on this one...

Well the civilian door wiring was the problem. Found no power at window switch, checked connector inside pillar for the right door and found power was going to nothing. What was initially confusing me was none of the color codes for the wires were matching up with a piu right door. Then figured out wrong power wire not connected so moved one pin and now have window working as should be.

I just worked them off didn't need heat but the roof one is so baked, it just chips I can't get it to come up at all
This is easier than it seems. I know my reply is a while after your original post, but if you haven't already got the roof decals completely off, try this. There is a product called 'goo-be-gone'. You'll also need a plastic trim remover tool....a fresh new one with sharp edges. Spray the 'goo-be-gone' onto the decals you want to remove, wait about 2 minutes and then they should come up easily by using the trim removal tool to start peeling them off, along their edge. WARNING; Leaving Goo-Be-Gone on too long, will remove any polished shine and sometimes even the clearcoat. I recommend doing it in the shade (or indoors), once the roof is at room temperature. As an alternative, as dumb as this sounds....Windex does the same thing, without the chance you will damage the painted surface. Enjoy

I just purchased a 2014 PIU on Monday and I am in Warren Michigan! I am planning to order the following tomorrow:

ELM327 USB FORScan OBD2 Adapter with OBD II OBD2​

I just purchased a 2014 PIU on Monday and I am in Warren Michigan! I am planning to order the following tomorrow:

ELM327 USB FORScan OBD2 Adapter with OBD II OBD2​

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back