2014 PIU stays running with key removed (Not Secure Idle) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 PIU stays running with key removed (Not Secure Idle)

bt1987

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford PIU
My 2014 PIU developed a weird problem on a long road trip this weekend. I pulled into a gas station and could not shut the vehicle off. I turned the key off and removed it with everything still energized and the engine running, except the auto headlights (which I personally installed and added via Forscan), which turned off when I locked the door via the factory remote.

When I got home I was still unable to shut the vehicle off, so I had to unplug the positive battery terminal to get the damn thing to shut off. I plugged it back in, and it still does this same thing. I discovered that even without turning the key to Start, once I get it to Run, everything stays energized.

I've seen some folks say the lock cylinder could be bad. Okay. How do I get to it to test? I don't know how to access that part of the dash. Is it through the radio panel area? Do I have to remove the IPC?

I've also really other models of Fords in this model year develop this issue and there is a recall out for them (I think the C-Max and F-150 have a recall for this).

Just for ***** and giggles, does anyone have access to the Ford site where you can download the ABD information for a vehicle and can send me a printout of the ABD for the BCM to cross-check via Forscan? I didn't save a copy of the ABD because, honestly, I couldn't find how to save raw ABD files as backups. Some parts of that software were not intuitive to me. If some code got corrupted, and I can change it back and everything is fixed, that would save me a lot of time and money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As built data download: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

If you don't get something usable -- send me a PM.

Thank you. The only different data strings were for Dark Car mode, and the settings I changed for Auto Headlights.

Speaking of Auto Headlights, the last person to do it showed which addresses to change, and his vehicle had address 726-09-01 set to 0001 from the factory, while mine is 0000. He changed the 0001 address to 0100 and the auto lights began working. I changed my 0000 address to 0100 and it also worked, but a 0000 address means something else in my car is disabled that was enabled on his. What else is at the address that I may have to look at?

General follow-up, I let the vehicle sit overnight for 8 hours unplugged, plugged everything back in, the vehicle works normal again. I will investigate further.

Very odd. Interested to hear what you find.

Thank you. The only different data strings were for Dark Car mode, and the settings I changed for Auto Headlights.

Speaking of Auto Headlights, the last person to do it showed which addresses to change, and his vehicle had address 726-09-01 set to 0001 from the factory, while mine is 0000. He changed the 0001 address to 0100 and the auto lights began working. I changed my 0000 address to 0100 and it also worked, but a 0000 address means something else in my car is disabled that was enabled on his. What else is at the address that I may have to look at?
Here is another thread I found using the 'Search' feature. Unfortunately, the OP never did come back with a final update and hasn't been here for 2 years since. That's the frustrating part of a Forum. People post issues and don't follow up. Engine wont shut off

Peter

I
Here is another thread I found using the 'Search' feature. Unfortunately, the OP never did come back with a final update and hasn't been here for 2 years since. That's the frustrating part of a Forum. People post issues and don't follow up. Engine wont shut off

Peter

I found that thread and started there, unfortunately, since it wasn't resolved, I figured a new topic, with new forum members, may lead to a different result. In any case, I've narrowed it down to either the wire on pin 30 of the C2280B on the BCM coming loose and possibly confusing the computer (pin 30 is the auto headlight control wire), or an ignition switch needing replaced.

Would bet good money that FORScan can monitor the PID that defines the current state of the switch.

I wonder if it might be a related issue-- fairly frequently, the radio doesn't turn-off when the key is turned to off and the driver's door is opened in my PIU. The ignition is clearly off since everything else is, the computer just ignores the door ajar signal that's supposed to kill the radio when the "driveway moment" where one finishes listening to an engaging song or program is over and the door opens.

If your ignition is obviously not switching off, I'd suspect it could be the switch or an excessively worn lock cylinder rather than a glitch, could be something as simple as the switch being a little loose where it attaches to the back of the lock cylinder. It could also be that the switch or a relay in the circuit got hot and stuck due to the circuit being energized for a long time on the road trip. There's not much to do there except try replacing some parts and hope you get lucky, or get things set-up so you can test easily next time your on a road trip.

It'd probably be easier to pull a specific fuse or relay than disconnect the battery terminal, if it makes a habit of not turning off, I've had to do that with other vehicles of mine in the past.

I wonder if it might be a related issue-- fairly frequently, the radio doesn't turn-off when the key is turned to off and the driver's door is opened in my PIU. The ignition is clearly off since everything else is, the computer just ignores the door ajar signal that's supposed to kill the radio when the "driveway moment" where one finishes listening to an engaging song or program is over and the door opens..............................................
The radio not turning off has been posted about before but not for the past 5 years. My Radio Kept Playing After I left My Vehicle .... Odd...

Peter

Back