2014 Sport oil leak?

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
My 2014 Sport has a hair under 90k on it. Lately, I've noticed a burning oil smell in the cabin. It also smells "hot" when I walk around the front after driving it for a while. I popped the hood and pulled the plastic cover that's on the engine that says ECOBOOST. I looked around and noticed oil pooled in the galley around the throttle body, just below it, on the valve cover. I pulled the piping off the throttle body and the TB, itself, is dry. But the rubber plumbing, down into where it transitions into hard plastic is very oily. I can't really determine if that's normal, first of all. Second, I really can't see how the oil got down in the galley of the valve cover near the throttle body. I can tell it's been going on a while as it's now seeping down the front of the valve cover and onto the exhaust which is what I'm smelling, I suspect. I checked, to be sure, and it's not from them "missing" it when they filled with oil at the oil change. It's too far away.

I'm trying to figure out how to post photos here, but does anyone have thoughts, or experiences with this?

Thanks!
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2014 Sport has a hair under 90k on it. Lately, I've noticed a burning oil smell in the cabin. It also smells "hot" when I walk around the front after driving it for a while. I popped the hood and pulled the plastic cover that's on the engine that says ECOBOOST. I looked around and noticed oil pooled in the galley around the throttle body, just below it, on the valve cover. I pulled the piping off the throttle body and the TB, itself, is dry. But the rubber plumbing, down into where it transitions into hard plastic is very oily. I can't really determine if that's normal, first of all. Second, I really can't see how the oil got down in the galley of the valve cover near the throttle body. I can tell it's been going on a while as it's now seeping down the front of the valve cover and onto the exhaust which is what I'm smelling, I suspect. I checked, to be sure, and it's not from them "missing" it when they filled with oil at the oil change. It's too far away.

I'm trying to figure out how to post photos here, but does anyone have thoughts, or experiences with this?

Thanks!
Shumax

IMG_2832.JPG

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_5491.JPG

IMG_6510.JPG

IMG_9513.JPG

In the third photo above, you can see the bolt sticking up thats threaded. There is oil pooled in that area that's hard to see in the photo. Thanks for the input...

Crankcase ventilation throws a lot of oil down into the intake. My intake consistently has a bunch of oil in the intake tube... Maybe that's why?

So....power wash the engine and let it be? Replace the PCV valve and do the same? What’s the solve? Thought maybe the valve cover was leaking. Maybe not and it’s just blow by? Time for a catch can?

And the pipes to the throttle body are complete clean ? Oil-water in these pipes are normal, I think...

Throttle body is clean - no oil. The plumbing up to it, though, is saturated in oil. Almost to the point it’s dripping out...

Goes into the dealer on 12/18 to be looked at. I have the ESP to 120k, so I'm not real worried about it. Just want it looked over...

Update: Got the vehicle back and here is what they had to do: Replaced the front valve cover seal. Also replaced the plastic intake tube (on the left side of the engine as you are facing it) as it had a crack in it. From there, they had to replace the oil line seal to the left turbo. Finally, the high pressure fuel pump seal was also leaking and needed to be replaced. I also had them flush the tranny, change the oil and set the alignment. Final item was cleaning and lubing the front brakes as they were squeaking and sticking a bit. I was surprised the seals were not under the ESP warranty. Cost was around $950 for all of this - a lot of labor charge on the removal of the valve cover ($325, approximately), etc. Am I off base thinking the ESP warranty would cover the seals and intake tube? Thoughts on that?

Nice thing is that it's running stronger than I remember it. I'm not sure why that would be, but it rips from a start - wow. I took the time and degreased the engine and power washed off the debris. Used compressed air to get everything dried off and applied a silicone sealant that doesn't attract dust and dirt. It came out great and looks good, too. Best of all? No more burning oil smell at a stop.

Shumax

....... Am I off base thinking the ESP warranty would cover the seals and intake tube? Thoughts on that?........
Shumax
If you look at the bottom of the ESP brochure you will find all the items that are NOT covered.

Peter

If you look at the bottom of the ESP brochure you will find all the items that are NOT covered.

Peter

He has a 3rd party warranty, not a Ford ESP. There is no 120k coverage term.

Back