2014 Sport options (shade and console) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport options (shade and console)

Antag

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
I thought I read that the 2014 Sport would have the option to buy the 2nd row console with the bucket seats, but it's not an option on Ford.com.

Also, you can't include the rear cargo shade with the 401A package. It comes with hooks and a net but you can't get the shade.

Will these options be available (at a reasonable price) from Ford or a 3rd party?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the website is still getting updated, as I have a 2014 on order with the 2nd row console. I noticed shows "401A" in one spot and "402A" in another, but 401A is the package available for the 2014. Also, when on the website I tried to add the cargo shade and mud guards for a build and it said it wasn't available with that package, yet I ordered those for mine with the dealer. I would give them a bit to get the website fully updated or check with a dealer.

from all I've heard I would pass on the cargo cover....

maybe an aftermarket supplier will figure out how bad ford's is and offer one :)

The cargo cover was listed as a $135 option on the 2013 explorer on the website and was the same when I ordered my 2014 via the dealer. A little less for Xplan pricing. I haven't looked for aftermarket ones.

Living in Phoenix, we have seen benefit to the cover in the rear cargo to help shade items from direct sunlight, but also to help reduce the volume of air in the cabin, which seems to aid cooling things down in my wife's current SUV. So we hope for the same on the explorer when we get it.

Thanks jetpilot747. I'm also in Phoenix and wanted the cargo cover to shade whatever is stored back there. I hadn't considered that it might reduce the cabin size for better cooling.

JohnBoyToo, is Ford's cover pretty bad? What's wrong with it? I'm going to search on that now.

Wow... ok nevermind. Totally not what I expected. I found a thread about the cargo cover and someone was nice enough to post a few pictures of it. It's... unique.

I was expecting either a hard or rollup cover over the main cargo area. It appears to be a soft cover, non-rollup, that extends out to the windows, goes around the seatbelts, and hangs down in the front.

Here's the thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2713328&postcount=14

Didn't realize it covers the 3rd row seats too. Looks like it would waterproof the back there too, quite the coverage. Get your money's worth no doubt. I'm used to a one that recoil rolls into a tube when not in use. I'll have to try it and see how that works when you need to use the 3rd row.

I thought I read that the 2014 Sport would have the option to buy the 2nd row console with the bucket seats, but it's not an option on Ford.com.

Also, you can't include the rear cargo shade with the 401A package. It comes with hooks and a net but you can't get the shade.

Will these options be available (at a reasonable price) from Ford or a 3rd party?
Although the console isn't shown right now as a stand alone option, if you click on 'Details' on the 2nd row buckets, you will see that it says "Available with optional second-row center console."

Peter

spend the money from the poorly designed stock cover for tinting over the factory rear windows. With a backup camera reversing at night isn't an issue with the rear windows tinted dark. During the daylight you can still see out plenty fine, but from the outside the windows on the back will be pitch black and you won't be able to see any cargo.

Although the console isn't shown right now as a stand alone option, if you click on 'Details' on the 2nd row buckets, you will see that it says "Available with optional second-row center console."

Peter

I noticed when you browse the "Interior Features" tab of the website, it shows the center console as an option for the sport. Hopefully the build and price section will get updated soon then.
http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/trim/sport/

That was the reason my wife wanted to wait for the 2014, since it wasn't available on the 2013, so without an armrest on the seats, the console was worth waiting for. Its a bargain price wise to get it I think ($100), as some folks tried to buy one from the dealer and they don't sell complete units, the piece parts to build one were in the $900 range of bought separately.

Yep :) I'm talking with a very creative bud of mine to come up with something...
we've 'imageneered' some pretty neat things for our rv's using stock home depot parts and such ...
thinking we can come up with something for the cargo cover..

I envision a 2 pc cover... (black of course !)
one for the 3rd row seats up and one with them down....

just a nice form fit 'pleather/vinyl' on light foam board that hangs from the cargo net hook on the side and the headrest rod - hmmm, have a small looped wire hook for my truck that hangs off the back of the front headrest and would support something well ???.... (off the cuff - haven't thought it thru yet) but the second pic shows the little gap with the seat up...

on edit - how about something like a wide black plastic boot tray cut to size and lower thant he seat top so it doesn't show ?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dial-Industries-22304-Large-Black-Plastic-Boot-amp-Utility-Tray/23502757#ProductDetail
stand by :)

but wouldn't want to block the speaker TOO much that's in the back right like below --- presume that's the sub ?

Attachments

• right rear.jpg
    right rear.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 511
  • Left Rear.jpg
    Left Rear.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 492

from all I've heard I would pass on the cargo cover....

maybe an aftermarket supplier will figure out how bad ford's is and offer one :)

Amen. On my old 94 Explorer, the cargo shade still worked after all these years. It seems like the simplest designs work the best, are the easiest to use and last the longest. I wish Ford would go back to that old "pull down shade" design.

Back