2014 Sport's engine light is on after snow mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport's engine light is on after snow mode

TorontoUser

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sports
Hi guys,

So today while I was driving, I found that the engine light was on. It is a 2014 Sports. It has been great since I bought it new and it was the first time I saw it on. It is snowing these days so i turned on snow mode. Could that be the reason or it is just a coincidence? Any idea what should I do?

Thanks a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys,

So today while I was driving, I found that the engine light was on. It is a 2014 Sports. It has been great since I bought it new and it was the first time I saw it on. It is snowing these days so i turned on snow mode. Could that be the reason or it is just a coincidence? Any idea what should I do?

Thanks a lot.

Do you have an OBD II scanner to check what codes are coming up?

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Is it the Check Engine light? Going to Snow mode should not cause that. Others have had the AWD OFF warning come on sometimes. Does the warning still come ON after restarting the vehicle?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Is it the Check Engine light? Going to Snow mode should not cause that. Others have had the AWD OFF warning come on sometimes. Does the warning still come ON after restarting the vehicle?

Peter
Yes it is the Check Engine Light. and yes it came back after I restarted the truck.

Not yet. Will that be helpful?

I would say so, because you will be able to troubleshoot what error code is causing the check engine light (and not have to rely on a dealer tech to do so and probably charge you for the privilege).

I would say so, because you will be able to troubleshoot what error code is causing the check engine light (and not have to rely on a dealer tech to do so and probably charge you for the privilege).
Ok. will do so and keep you guys updated. Thanks a lot for the information.

Ok. will do so and keep you guys updated. Thanks a lot for the information.

Any update? Is it the 2002 Explorer in your profile, or do you have a different Explorer?

Sorry for the confusion. It is a 2014 Sports. the 2012 one is my previous Explorer.

Hi there,

The Check Engine indicator did not come back after two restart. Not sure what is happening. Probably because the temperature is going up these days? It was snowing cold when the light went up.

Sorry for the confusion. It is a 2014 Sports. the 2012 one is my previous Explorer.
Please check your messages/inbox regarding profile update. Thanks. BTW, your profile doesn't show a previous 2012. It shows 2002 XLT.

Peter

Sports? I have never heard of that model. Do you mean Explorer sport? BTW, just go to the Dealership and pay them to tell you what is going on, because unless you have(at the minimum) a OBD2 scanner, and know how to use it, there is nothing you can do to your “sports” except drive it and fill it with gas.

Hi there,

The Check Engine indicator did not come back after two restart. Not sure what is happening. Probably because the temperature is going up these days? It was snowing cold when the light went up.
There have been several reports like yours after driving in snow without using 'Snow' mode. It may have something to do with the wheel sensors. Between my 2011 Limited and current 2017 I've maybe used 'Snow' mode 3 times. I just leave it on 'Normal' 99.9% of the time.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I actually used Snow mode when it was snowing and after that the Check Engine indicator came up.

Thanks. Now that the indicator did not come back, and hopefully it will not in the future, I will just leave it be.

Back