2014 XLT 4WD... How to use it.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 XLT 4WD... How to use it..

Reaction score
City, State
Fairview, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Looks like I'm about to buy a 2014 4WD XLT from the local CarMax... I'm curious as to how the 4WD controls work... I test drove it once and wasn't sure how nor did the CarMax salesperson so I left it alone. The 3-4 Avatars on the knob are about as clear as a muddy stream... One has a tree? One has a cactus?.. The other kinda looks like a slick street? and there's a center button, too showing going downhill?

In my current ride, a 2003 Limited it's kinda self explanatory.. Hoping the truck comes with an oem manual, but I wanted to ask youz guys first...

My questions are...(and please explain to me like I'm a 'luded out chimp... I'm old as dirt and I won't be offended)
1. What are all the settings?
2. Do I have to stop before putting it into one of the 4WD options? or can I change on the fly while moving?
3. On my wife's older Ford truck she has to stop, manually put it into 4WD and then roll backwards a few feet before it locks in... Do I have to change to the 4WD setting and roll backwards?
4. In the picture below, one avatar is lit up... Can I assume that's the standard 2 wheel drive that I'll spend most of my time in?

Any advice will be appreciated.... TIA...

XLT-4WD.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Jerry. :wave:
The 5th gen Explorer really doesn't have true 4WD. It has what I believe they call "Intelligent 4WD" which means that the system will engage the 4 wheels when it senses the need for it. I believe the closest you might get to having 4WD is if the drive mode is put into the Sand mode.
The Explorer is FWD biased.
Hope the video helps.

Peter

Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the Forum Jerry. :wave:
The 5th gen Explorer really doesn't have true 4WD. It has what I believe they call "Intelligent 4WD" which means that the system will engage the 4 wheels when it senses the need for it. I believe the closest you might get to having 4WD is if the drive mode is put into the Sand mode.
The Explorer is FWD biased.
Hope the video helps.

Peter
Wow.. Very helpful, Peter! You da man.. The video answered all but one question.. Very odd that they didn't point out what the center button is for... Do you know? ...

Thanks for posting.. I'll point out to CarMax when I go back for the final test drive that it's technically NOT a 4wd vehicle... Knowledge is power..

Hi Jerry. How many miles are on the XLT? Are you able to get/check any service records for it? I'm not sure if you are aware that the 5th gen Explorers with the 3.5L V6 all have an internal water pump. The 4 cylinder does not. Just thought you should know.

Peter

Hi Jerry. How many miles are on the XLT? Are you able to get/check any service records for it? I'm not sure if you are aware that the 5th gen Explorers with the 3.5L V6 all have an internal water pump. The 4 cylinder does not. Just thought you should know.

Peter
67K.... I've seen the complete history of service, etc... The truck is pristine and I've been looking at Explorers of various models for almost 2 years. This will be the first V6 after a lifetime of V8s.. Wouldn't even consider a 4 cylinder, but thanks. Not sure if I'll be happy with the power difference, but we'll see.... I looked at and test drove some never Explorers, but simply didn't like all the foofoo electronic gadgetry.. I realize many love that kinda stuff... I'm not one of them.. All I really want on my vehicle is a radio. heated seats, A/C, and all-wheel drive.. This will probably be the last vehicle I ever buy.

It wouldn't hurt to change the PTU fluid. The PTU only holds a small amount of oil. There are several threads on that.

Peter

It wouldn't hurt to change the PTU fluid. The PTU only holds a small amount of oil. There are several threads on that.

Peter
Thanks again, Pete... FYI.. I read through some of the posts of the water pump failure and while the problem doesn't have me worried, it is a valid concern.. I'd like to see the real numbers of failures on these vehicles percentage-wise..

That being said... your suggestion to change the PTU fluid seems prudent...“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” My questions to you are...
1. What is a PDU?
2. Got a link to the procedure? Or can you point me in that direction? Is it something a mortal can do in the backyard? or is a professional mechanic required?
3. Carmax is offering me in the financing an add-on warranty (for around $40 a month) that covers everything up to 120K (I think) I had kinda blown that option off, but this new info might sway me in the other direction.. Your thoughts? What would YOU do.?

Thanks again, Pete... FYI.. I read through some of the posts of the water pump failure and while the problem doesn't have me worried, it is a valid concern.. I'd like to see the real numbers of failures on these vehicles percentage-wise..

That being said... your suggestion to change the PTU fluid seems prudent...“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” My questions to you are...
1. What is a PDU?
2. Got a link to the procedure? Or can you point me in that direction? Is it something a mortal can do in the backyard? or is a professional mechanic required?
3. Carmax is offering me in the financing an add-on warranty (for around $40 a month) that covers everything up to 120K (I think) I had kinda blown that option off, but this new info might sway me in the other direction.. Your thoughts? What would YOU do.?

Pete.. a managed to find a how-to on the PTU change so ignore those questions... Still no idea what the letters stand for... Do let me know your opinion on the extended warranty...

PTU = Power Transfer Unit

The PTU is an all-wheel drive (AWD) transfer case used in cars and sport utility vehicles. It allows for power to all four wheels either part time or full time, and also varies how much power goes to the front and rear by specific driving conditions.

Peter

PTU = Power Transfer Unit

The PTU is an all-wheel drive (AWD) transfer case used in cars and sport utility vehicles. It allows for power to all four wheels either part time or full time, and also varies how much power goes to the front and rear by specific driving conditions.

Peter
Understood.... Thanks...

Back