2014 XLT with flickering interior lighting and audio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 XLT with flickering interior lighting and audio

klotzy_550

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT 3.5
Hey everyone,

Currently undergoing some electrical issues within my explorer. The first time that I noticed this was a few weeks ago when it was around zero degree F during a left hand turn from a stop. There isn't one particular feature that causes this issue, I can mess with the heat setting and it might cause it. I can jerk the steering wheel a little and it may happen. I can hit the wipers and it may happen, however the wipers will continue to work.
A few notes on my observations:
When the gauge backlighting goes out the audio usually stutters or cuts out for a second. The interior dome and vanity lights go out too. The radio comes back faster than the gauge / interior lighting, the lighting seems to have a delayed relay turn on time (you can audibly hear it click). The vehicle runtime dynamics do not change, continues without disruption. No messages on the IPC, no stored chassis, powertrain, or network codes. Can happen at a stop or moving. Appears to be temperature independent at this point. I did look at the owners manual and I did note that most of the fused items listed in the interior fuse compartment are affected by this. the IPC seems to work just fine, but the backlighting appears to be the issue. With the Sync radio system, the screen doesn't seem to power off or flicker, but the audio does audibly stop when the lights flicker. I also noticed it with the power seat adjustment, you could hear it intermittently.

If anyone could provide some helpful input, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Maverick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have Forscan? If so when it is cold out test the modules in the Dash. IPC etc. If no Forscan then take the center IP stack out and look for loose wiring. I have a feeling you have a module starting to go out. The trick is catching it when it is cold and can run a test on it.

Possibly a bad ground somewhere? There is a thread regarding the information screens going out but that doesn't appear to apply to them going OFF/ON.

Peter

Do you have Forscan? If so when it is cold out test the modules in the Dash. IPC etc. If no Forscan then take the center IP stack out and look for loose wiring. I have a feeling you have a module starting to go out. The trick is catching it when it is cold and can run a test on it.

I do have Forscan, just haven't hooked up yet. I am working on getting wiring schematics for the interior compartment fuse box, BCM, and perhaps the IPC. The interesting thing is that it will do it if the cabin is warm or cold. On a side note, I unplugged the battery last night to hard reset all the modules. I haven't had an issue yet today, but I am not holding my breath.

I will continue to post updates, I do appreciate the ideas though!

-Maverick

Possibly a bad ground somewhere? There is a thread regarding the information screens going out but that doesn't appear to apply to them going OFF/ON.

Peter

I have given that some thought, but I would need to give the wiring schematics a honest glance before I would deep dive into it. I need to find where all of these devices tie into one another, whether it be CAN, a module, or common ground/power.

I have a hard time believing a bad ground. The reason is. Bad ground lead to more resistance which would just dim the lights not make them go away, then come back. Also you said you heard a relay sound when it happened. The reset would not have effected the bad ground it would still be doing it. I would suspect a bad computer module having hard time in the cold. I think Forscan can test all the computers (PLC) in the affected area. Just SWAGGING

I have a hard time believing a bad ground. The reason is. Bad ground lead to more resistance which would just dim the lights not make them go away, then come back. Also you said you heard a relay sound when it happened. The reset would not have effected the bad ground it would still be doing it. I would suspect a bad computer module having hard time in the cold. I think Forscan can test all the computers (PLC) in the affected area. Just SWAGGING

This is what has come to mind for me too, I am just trying to take the most logical problem solving approach to the problem. It just seems coincidental that it happened first in the cold weather. It has to be a module due to the sub-systems that are involved in the process. Another thing that is ruling out wire issues is that it does it at a stand still, so no inherit vibrations or anything coming through the chassis that would cause intermittent connectivity. I keep circling back to the BCM, but if I completely lost my BCM, the vehicle should ideally freak out with messages or at least post communication errors. However, I need to look at the wiring diagram and determine what module these sub-systems have in common. Hopefully they will point to a common component.

-Maverick

These are the codes that I pulled from the modules, the ABS one is a wheel speed sensor when I hit some abruptly, like a rough rail road crossing at speed (has happened twice ever). I tested all of the modules with Forscan and none of them returned any issues except the BCM for my headlamps which I have retrofitted to HID. The HID's have their own separate circuits and the stock halogen signal drives the relay which isn't enough current for the BCM to detect them, hence I get a open circuit fault for both lights.

Noted: the more load I can put on with interior accessories the more I can get this to happen. The Sync Module also drops out, I can tell by the bluetooth icon disappearing for a bit. The movement of my power seat and playing with the washer / wipers will also trigger it. I have determined that all of these devices link back to the smart power junction. What I am unsure of is if this is what Ford considers the BCM? Perhaps someone can give me some insight on this.

Codes from the modules:

===RTM DTC None===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: Radio Transceiver Module

===END RTM DTC None===

===HVAC DTC U3003:17-08===
Code: U3003 - Battery Voltage

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Circuit Voltage Above Threshold

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

===END HVAC DTC U3003:17-08===

===GPSM DTC None===

Module: Global Positioning System Module

===END GPSM DTC None===

===PCM DTC None===

Module: Powertrain Control Module

===END PCM DTC None===

===OBDII DTC None===

Module: On Board Diagnostic II

===END OBDII DTC None===

===APIM DTC B1D79:11-28===
Code: B1D79 - Microphone Input

- Circuit Short To Ground

Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module

===END APIM DTC B1D79:11-28===

===APIM DTC U3003:17-28===

Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module

===END APIM DTC U3003:17-28===

===FCIM DTC U3003:17-08===

Module: Front Controls Interface Module

===END FCIM DTC U3003:17-08===

===FCDIM DTC None===

Module: Front Control/Display Interface Module

===END FCDIM DTC None===

===FLM DTC None===

Module: Front Lighting Control Module

===END FLM DTC None===

===ATCM DTC None===

Module: All Terrain Control Module

===END ATCM DTC None===

===OCS DTC None===

Module: Occupant Classification System Module

===END OCS DTC None===

===ABS DTC C1137:64-60===
Code: C1137 - Reverse gear switch

- Signal Plausibility Failure

- Test not complete

Module: Antilock braking system

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 48086773 sec - Global real time
-POWER_MODE: Running - Power Mode Status
-ABS: Inactive - ABS
-AYC: Inactive - AYC
-BTCS: Inactive - BTCS -201D
-HDC: Inactive - HDC
-RSC: Inactive - RSC
-BTC: Inactive - BTC
-VAC_BST_ST: Inactive - Active Vacuum Booster State
-BST_REL_SW: Inactive - Booster Release Switch State
-HYD_PMP_ST: Inactive - Hydraulic Pump State
-VPWR_ABS: 14.50 Volt - Module supply voltage
-VSS: 11.0 km/h - Vehicle Speed
===END ABS DTC C1137:64-60===

===ABS DTC U3003:16-60===

- Circuit Voltage Below Threshold

- Test not complete

Module: Antilock braking system

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 110320326 sec - Global real time
-POWER_MODE: Running - Power Mode Status
-ABS: Inactive - ABS
-AYC: Inactive - AYC
-BTCS: Inactive - BTCS -201D
-HDC: Inactive - HDC
-RSC: Inactive - RSC
-BTC: Inactive - BTC
-VAC_BST_ST: Inactive - Active Vacuum Booster State
-BST_REL_SW: Inactive - Booster Release Switch State
-HYD_PMP_ST: Inactive - Hydraulic Pump State
-VPWR_ABS: 9.60 Volt - Module supply voltage
-VSS: 0.0 km/h - Vehicle Speed
===END ABS DTC U3003:16-60===

===RCM DTC None===

Module: Restraint Control Module

===END RCM DTC None===

===PAM DTC None===

Module: Parking Aid Module

===END PAM DTC None===

===PSCM DTC U3003:68-08===

- Event Information

Module: Power Steering Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-SWRS: 0 rev/min - Steering Wheel Rotation Speed
-SW_ANGLE: -38.90 ° - Steering Wheel Angle
===END PSCM DTC U3003:68-08===

===PSCM DTC U0415:00-08===
Code: U0415 - Invalid Data Received from Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module A

Module: Power Steering Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-SWRS: 0 rev/min - Steering Wheel Rotation Speed
-SW_ANGLE: 4.00 ° - Steering Wheel Angle
===END PSCM DTC U0415:00-08===

===ACM DTC U3003:17-08===

Module: Audio Control Module

===END ACM DTC U3003:17-08===

===BdyCM DTC U3003:17-08===

Module: Body Control Module

===END BdyCM DTC U3003:17-08===

===SCCM DTC None===

Module: Steering Column Control Module

===END SCCM DTC None===

===IPC DTC U0422:00-28===
Code: U0422 - Invalid Data Received From Body Control Module

Module: Instrument Panel Control Module

===END IPC DTC U0422:00-28===

APIM had a short to ground in it. Clear the codes and rerun the test. If that short to ground is still there bring it to Ford and show them the results.

APIM had a short to ground in it. Clear the codes and rerun the test. If that short to ground is still there bring it to Ford and show them the results.

Yeah, I did see that, it was for the microphone circuit which has been working for me. More interesting though is the overvoltage condition that is common on the BCM, APIM, ACM, FCIM, and HVAC, which would address all the issues that I have been seeing. I should check what my alternator voltage output is.

Eitherway, I cleared the codes and tested all the modules which checked out fine. I will re-scan tomorrow if the condition reappears.

I had it happen again this morning on my commute it, however it was much harder to convince system to make it happen. I eventually grabbed a log of a couple battery voltage / current logs when this happens. They are denoted by the dips in voltage and rise in current. All of the suspect, voltage over threshold faults returned to their respective modules after this. The IPC fault is tied to the BCM going offline, the BCM interprets the back lighting level and send this information digitally over the CANbus to the IPC.

Mlarv5, thanks for that document it was interesting to dig through. It doesn't seem to address if the full backlighting system goes offline though or anything with audio wakeup or sync. I think I would need the full extended workshop manual to work through that as there seems to be plenty of cross reference material. The smart junction box doesn't have some sort of voltage regulator does it? Somehow all of these devices think that the system voltage supply to them is over their designed threshold.

upload_2019-2-15_7-49-35.png

I looked around for some troubleshooting of the BCM, but only found a video of where someone took one apart. By looking at the video on youtube it seems there is not much in it. I wonder if you might have something floating around in there causing your problems.

I confirmed that the BCM module in Forscan is indeed the smart box junction (SBJ) fuse panel. From some of the other wiring schematics I have observed, it appears that the low current lighting functions that are likely driven by low side drivers maybe having an issue. However, not everything that is wired into the SBJ, is indeed smart. Meaning some of it is just a normal analog circuit, while others have digital control, like the SYNC and ACM wakeup. That being said most devices I have worked with OEM automotive are at least 18ish V compliant. I need to 100% confirm that this is the case with my Explorer, but if the SBJ needs to be replaced, it is the same on used in Police Utilities, which are a dime a dozen at the scrapper. I also found the location of the VIN in my OEM module, so I should be able to write all that information into a donor SBJ using the AsBuilt ford service data.

SJB P/N: EB5Z-15604-A

EB5Z-15604-A - Ford Parts Giant

Alright I was digging through the some of the wiring diagrams that I have for my rig. I'll share a portion if anyone wants to give me a second opinion on the wiring. 2014_Explorer_Wiring_Diagrams.pdf I will remove this sharing option in a few days. From what I can tell, the power for the HVAC, APIM, and ACM comes directly from the battery. It passes through the smart junction box (SJB) but just through a fuse, no relay or remote wakeup lines. So now I circle back to the fact that all of these modules are stating there is a "Code: U3003 - Battery Voltage, Additional Fault Symptom: - Circuit Voltage Above Threshold." Seems quite coincidental as these modules get all of their main power from the same place, the battery. The only other way that they are connected is the MS CAN, which I don't think they would communicate to each other that there is an "over voltage" condition occurring, since this would be quite a slow response in the grand scheme of things. I think this would be more of a function of each modules power management integrated circuits which commonly have over voltage protection. That all being said, I took my multimeter to the battery tonight. without the vehicle running, the battery voltage was ~12.55v, or ~85% SOC. It is a 2 year old battery so it is about where I would expect it to be. Now with the vehicle on and running, the voltage is 14.95V with the blower fan on low and the audio at 3-5. No other accessories, no defrost. I tested it again about 15 minutes later same reading, then I loaded the system, cranked both the front and rear blowers, hit the defrost, cranked the radio, and messed with the power seats. Between 14.9 and 15.0 V. I am not sure if these voltages are all that high, I am used to hearing 13.8 for charging min, and usually as high as 14.5... But I also understand things change. What I couldn't get was a voltage reading during one of my "Events." I will continue to get this reading, perhaps the system really is encountering a "voltage above threshold" condition.

-Maverick

Solved

Was messing around by the battery junction box and noticed that one the main feeds from the battery was loose, the one on the B+ terminal that is bolted down to the cinch mechanism. After I secured that, my issues vanished. Way better solution that digging in to modules. I did learn a lot about this vehicle and its wiring structure in the process. My alternator voltage now is 14.45v - 14.5v. which is awesome. I imagine that the voltage regulator of the alternator was not a fan of the intermittent connections, likely causing voltage spike, which the BCM, APIM, HVAC, etc were protecting themselves from.

Glad this is fixed. Thank Mlarv5 for the constructive input.

FYI if anyone is interested, I did the PTU seal, gear lube replacement myself. In the process I created mechanical drawings for the tools required and have gathered quite a bit of technical documentation on the procedure. If you would like this posted up, I just request or PM me for it.

-Maverick

Back