• Register Today It's free!

2015 Basic Headlight Question

DDrake

Reaction score
City, State
Edgewood, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited Explorer
I have a question and was hoping to get a knowledgeable response without having to go to a garage and pay a fee.

I have a 2015 Explorer and just recently both of my headlights went out. I went to Pep boys to get replacement bulbs and they told me there are 2 different types for that year. A basic bulb and some other bulb that costs over $100. I asked how I know which bulb and he said you have to open the housing or go to a Ford Dealer to find out.

So would it be easy for me to figure out which type it is by myself and how would I do that? Right now, I can't drive my vehicle in the dark because both of them are out. (just happened Saturday night).

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Pictures would probably help, as well as knowing what trim level your Explorer is.

Welcome to the forum!

Pictures would probably help, as well as knowing what trim level your Explorer is.
I checked and I think Limited if the trim level (hopefully).

Pics of the headlight from outside or inside and opened?

I checked and I think Limited if the trim level (hopefully).

Pics of the headlight from outside or inside and opened?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that the difference in price is that one is for a halogen bulb and the other is for an HID bulb. In the U.S. HID was an option with one of the option packages.
Yes as shown in the margin, your trim is a Limited. Did you check the fuses?

Peter

It's pretty rare for both headlights to go out at the same time.

Check owner's manual to determine fuse locations and check them.

Basic troubleshooting. Do other exterior lights come on when switched on or are all exterior lights out also? Could be a problem with switch, fuse, relay or module/igniter (if HID).

Ask at local auto parts store - if it's just a fuse, some are happy to check and help - same with bulbs - some may replace if the process isn't very involved. Pep boys is a parts and service center and in my experience doesn't seem to go out of the way for customers like other parts only stores sometimes do. YMMV, so if you don't know what you are doing and don't want to pay, you may have to exert some extra effort and try a couple different stores until you find someone willing to help.

It's pretty rare for both headlights to go out at the same time.

Check owner's manual to determine fuse locations and check them.

Basic troubleshooting. Do other exterior lights come on when switched on or are all exterior lights out also? Could be a problem with switch, fuse, relay or module/igniter (if HID).

Ask at local auto parts store - if it's just a fuse, some are happy to check and help - same with bulbs - some may replace if the process isn't very involved. Pep boys is a parts and service center and in my experience doesn't seem to go out of the way for customers like other parts only stores sometimes do. YMMV, so if you don't know what you are doing and don't want to pay, you may have to exert some extra effort and try a couple different stores until you find someone willing to help.

Actually only 1 was out initially then the other went out on Saturday sometime. We realized the one was out Friday night but the other one was working still. All the exterior light work except the headlights. I tested that yesterday evening. Ok thanks for the heads up. I will try a parts store. Is there one more likely than another to help. Locally I have Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts. There is another old school one that is all letters I think but I can't remember the letters. Maybe starts with an N.

Thanks so much for responding and the tips!

Ford dealer service would be able to put the VIN in their system and tell you exactly which one came with the Vehicle, they should Not charge you anything for just that part. Then you can go to other parts store and get the bulbs.

Ford dealer service would be able to put the VIN in their system and tell you exactly which one came with the Vehicle, they should Not charge you anything for just that part. Then you can go to other parts store and get the bulbs.

Thanks so much! I just called the dealer who connected me to parts and with my VIN they let me know! Woot! Woot! Now I can pick one them up and figure out how to install them! I'm pretty sure I saw uTubes on that! :)

Thanks so much! I just called the dealer who connected me to parts and with my VIN they let me know! Woot! Woot! Now I can pick one them up and figure out how to install them! I'm pretty sure I saw uTubes on that! :)

So is it the halogen or HID? I'm assuming halogen by the smily face. It would suck to replace both HID moneywise!

Actually only 1 was out initially then the other went out on Saturday sometime. We realized the one was out Friday night but the other one was working still. All the exterior light work except the headlights. I tested that yesterday evening. Ok thanks for the heads up. I will try a parts store. Is there one more likely than another to help. Locally I have Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts. There is another old school one that is all letters I think but I can't remember the letters. Maybe starts with an N.

Thanks so much for responding and the tips!
Halogen or HID bulbs? If halogen, it should be easy to remove and visually inspect the bulbs to see if they are bad. Do your high beams work or are all headlights burned out?

If HID, you may have more troubleshooting as it could be bad bulbs or bad igniter/ballast modules, or both.

As far as stores, like I said, YMMV - every store and staff is different. Try one and see how helpful they are. If not helpful, try another.

I was halogen and they have been replaced and are working find now! Thanks everyone :)

I was halogen and they have been replaced and are working find now! Thanks everyone :)

Awesome, happy everything is sorted out now.

Thank you for reporting back.

Peter

Back