2015 Explorer "clicking" while warming up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer "clicking" while warming up

despeaux

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all,

The other day, I was warming up my 2015 Explorer XLT and noticed a "clicking" noise coming from under the hood. The headlights dimmed when it happened. It almost sounded like the engine was about to quit before it "recovered." Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOozhjRaw5k

It was a bit cold out (25℉). By the time I recorded the video, the vehicle had been idling for about 10 minutes.

Just to see what would happen, after I recorded this video I revved the engine briefly and the clicking stopped. I let the vehicle idle for another 10 minutes to see if it would start happening again, but it did not.

I've owned the vehicle for over a year now (it has 21k miles), and I think I've heard this happening before, but I've never put much thought into it.

Any idea what's going on? Is it something I should be concerned with?

Thanks for any advice!
Cliff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the video, the clicking seems periodic: approximately 4.4 second intervals with a split-timer.

Do you have an OBD-II reader to see if there are any historic codes? (Battery undervolt or other electrical codes?) You should also check your battery's voltage after your vehicle has been off for several hours.

Sounds like the AC clutch cycling. Maybe check your climate control settings. Could be low pressure in the AC system. Have it checked out at your dealer. :salute:

Sounds like the AC clutch cycling. Maybe check your climate control settings. Could be low pressure in the AC system. Have it checked out at your dealer. :salute:

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention: I had the climate control (specifically, the front window defroster) on when this was happening. When I shut off the climate control, it would stop doing this.

Well, there ya go. Take it to the dealer and see if there may be a problem with the AC system. Should be covered under warranty. :salute:

Back