• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Electrical Issue

RowdyRedRaider

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer
Just checking to see if anyone has run into a problem that I am having. Today I went out to start my Explorer and it started clicking like the battery was low or a bad starter. After a few tries I was able to get it started. About an hour later I went out to try and start it again same problem but when I pulled the key out the touch screen and internal and external lights stayed on for a few moments even with the door open. Not sure if it is a bad relay or ecm. I am planning on taking it into the dealership tomorrow but that I would check to see if anybody else has run into this issue or has any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rowdy Red Raider

Just checking to see if anyone has run into a problem that I am having. Today I went out to start my Explorer and it started clicking like the battery was low or a bad starter. After a few tries I was able to get it started. About an hour later I went out to try and start it again same problem but when I pulled the key out the touch screen and internal and external lights stayed on for a few moments even with the door open. Not sure if it is a bad relay or ecm. I am planning on taking it into the dealership tomorrow but that I would check to see if anybody else has run into this issue or has any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rowdy Red Raider

I have 2015 and several times when i have pulled the key out the chimes continue and sometimes the radio will continue. I have not had a starting problem yet. Let us know what you learn at the dealership.

Thanks,

Rowdy Red Raider
Your profile doesn't show which trim level you have but since you mention you are using a key, it narrows it down. The MFT screen staying on is not normal. The interior lights staying on with the door is perfectly normal. That is the way they are supposed to work. In mine they even stay on for a moment after the door is closed. Which exterior lights are you referring to that stay on with the door open? If it is the headlamps could it be because they are set up that way (delayed off) in the settings?
Could possibly be a weak/bad battery. A battery that is 'low' can cause some interesting things to happen with these Explorers. Good luck.

Peter

Peter you were right. Turns out it was just a bad battery. I guess there was just enough power to cause strange issues. Next time I will try to follow the KISS principle! Thanks Peter and Sixonemale for posting!

Rowdy Red

Back